Free stuff for xmas

Bookumdano2

• Members

Keep in mind that -- although there is no mention of it anywhere before the installation info page they send you a link to after you've filled out their 5 minute or so survey questionnaire and donated to Unicef (unless you take advantage of their free Christmas offer) -- that these are samples that require the Kontakt 4 or 5 sample player.

You can get that here (also free) after jumping through another set of hoops: http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/producer/kontakt-5-player/

The "free player" -- once you fight your way to the DL page by following links for the "Free" Kontakt player -- appears, after all that, to be a timed demo. Or maybe it's a time-limited demo of the full product that 'falls back' to a free, limited player. I couldn't get the answer to that from NI's FAQ on the NI Player.

Free Sample Player - VERSION 5! (09/2011)

Doubles as a time-limited Demo of KONTAKT 5 which allows for testing all features of the full version when loading your own samples

Of course, Kontakt is not known to be exactly the most stable or trouble free sample player. By a stretch.

It's likely that you won't be able to complete the sign up process when it pops up a window requesting your email address and other info but doesn't display a save/send button -- unless you expand the window to full size and you're lucky enough that doing so actually reveals the previously hidden button.

One thing you've got to say about the folks at NI, they are at least consistent in their screwed up-ness. :facepalm:

Some of the DL's are big and the servers appear to be slow, so it may appear that some of the DL's have failed after minutes of inactivity when temp-download file sizes don't change. Eventually, they may actually start DLing again. Hang in there, I guess.

I'm sure that the nice folks trying to give this stuff away thought it would win them fans, but the process is so messed up that I'm afraid it's unlikely to...

Since I've dealt with NI's software before, I'm pretty disinclined to bother installing any of this stuff, even after going through the 20+ minute process (if I'd known it required the NI player I seriously doubt I would have bothered in the first place).

Archived