Gibson Les Paul traditional plus VS Gibson SG Standard? Stay or go?

AnalogMan13

• Members

I have a Gibson SG standard Ebony and i straight up love this axe. I play Blues,Jazz,classic rock,Punk,Doom,Stoner,black and even death metal with this thing..:)

Well i have always wanted a Les paul right now i could sell my SG and get the traditional plus:love:. I know im having a gas attack im aware of it.

Whats your favorite axe compared to the two? How will the humbuckers compare? Will i still be able to pull of metal i know ill be able to do sludge/doom anything can. But my SG and my Orange rockerverb 100 does metal fantastic. Like i said i play everything which i know the les paul will cover my blues and jazz needs. But how will it hold up to metal. Lots of folks say SGs cant do death metal and black metal etc But i know damn good and well it can.:lol:

If i can cure this gas i could go and but my motorcycle ive been wanting. If not its les paul ill be playing with all summer.

• Members

I'm in a similar situation. I bought a tele back in 2001 because it was a killer deal, but has never been my fave guitar. Recently I got an SG in an effort to get "the one", and it is gorgeous and way more my style than the tele, but I still wasn't there. I sent it back and got an LP traditional. I decided to send it back because it's basically the same guitar but a thousand dollars more. Sending it back was a huge mistake and am going to get it back. My SG (got a used standard) is amazing and I'd like another one someday, but it just isn't "it" to me, I really wish I could deal with it, because it looks cooler and almost plays better, sounds almost the same and weighs significantly less. But, 10 years later I'm finally getting the axe I love, a flametop LP (big Jimmy and Slash fan).

• Members

Me just posting that made me think maybe I should just keep the SG...I change my mind between the two roughly every 10 seconds

I know what ya mean. My logical side is saying keep your doe save up for something you need like a bike to go to work on. The fun side is saying nab a les paul. I know damn good and well i love that SG. I just never cured the gas for my LP::confused:

• Members

Yea something you need, like a motorcycle:rolleyes::lol: lol. You and i aren't all that different my friend. I just got a '70 CB100 to fix up (for $100), and then my boss got in a mint '79 harley shovelhead. I don't have the cash but I offered a grand for him to hold it for me. Thankfully he said no, I can't afford to spend 5 g's on a toy, what am I thinking half the time!?:eek:

Maybe get an LP studio? You can get them mint for less than 800.

The bike in question...

DSC023230011.jpg

• Members

It probably won't be massively different to the SG, and if you are used to the weight and feel of the SG too, it may not be for you either. You just need to annoy some people by spending at least 40mins or preferably an hour trying some out with a strap. Personally, I much prefer Les Pauls, but that is more down to the slightly fatter tonality than anything else; and the fact that psychologically I am more drawn to them, as my main guitar is a Junior.

• Members

The bike in question...

Woo hooo! I like that bike im wanting a fatbob but since ive not rode in over 10 years. Im thinking of getting a 1200 to get use to riding again.

I have always wanted a harley now with gas sky high i have an excuse. I know if i go play some LPs ill want one. I had a lawsuit lp back in the day and i loved that guitar. So a real one would be even better. Damn man you just made my gas attack worse..

• Members

HEY OP, you have MY pic of MY amp as your avatar !

2844029102_dd6cd722f5_m.jpg

Anyway, I vote LP. I have both models and can't put the traditional plus down.

Ill take it down if you want me to(: I love my rockerverb! You can see i thanked ya in my sig, Oh man i want your Black amp bad!

• Members

Ill take it down if you want me to(: I love my rockerverb! You can see i thanked ya in my sig, Oh man i want your Black amp bad!

No worries man. Keep it up :) Kinda tripped me out when I saw it. Guess we have the same taste in gear and music as well. CHEERS :)

• Members

My vote is SG, but that is a preference I have from 30 plus years of playing them. I also have a very nice LP but I tend to reach for the SG's more often than not. I prefer the tone of the SG's through my amps, your average listen won't probably hear a difference. Lol

Go for the Harley if you can, that's a real gas! I have a '58 panhead and a '91 'glider, wouldn't trade them for the world.

• Members

I only have one SG (an Epiphone), and I have a few Les Pauls. That said, the SG is a more recent acquisition, and I like them a little better than Les Pauls. If I ever buy another guitar, it'll likely be an SG.

• Members

The bike in question...

Woo hooo! I like that bike im wanting a fatbob but since ive not rode in over 10 years. Im thinking of getting a 1200 to get use to riding again.

I have always wanted a harley now with gas sky high i have an excuse. I know if i go play some LPs ill want one. I had a lawsuit lp back in the day and i loved that guitar. So a real one would be even better. Damn man you just made my gas attack worse..

If you want a Fat Bob, get a Fat Bob. An XL1200 is a great bike (quickest acceleration of the air-cooled Harleys, actually), but if it's not what you want.......

If you just want something to get used to riding again, either a) buy a beater, or b) rent a Harley for a day or two form the dealer. That's all you'll need, if you used to ride. Plus,. the dealer will deduct the cost of the rental from the new bike.

• Members

I have a Gibson SG standard Ebony and i straight up love this axe. I play Blues,Jazz,classic rock,Punk,Doom,Stoner,black and even death metal with this thing..
:)

Well i have always wanted a Les paul right now i could sell my SG and get the traditional plus:love:. I know im having a gas attack im aware of it.

Whats your favorite axe compared to the two? How will the humbuckers compare? Will i still be able to pull of metal i know ill be able to do sludge/doom anything can. But my SG and my Orange rockerverb 100 does metal fantastic. Like i said i play everything which i know the les paul will cover my blues and jazz needs. But how will it hold up to metal. Lots of folks say SGs cant do death metal and black metal etc But i know damn good and well it can.
:lol:
If i can cure this gas i could go and but my motorcycle ive been wanting. If not its les paul ill be playing with all summer.

i look at it this way, if you praise the guitar, youll more than likely regret getting rid of it. LPs are one of my favorite guitars. i have a prestige knock off and a 1960 studio that im all about, but my sg standard is my hands down ultimate guitar. i couldnt see myself selling it and if something happened to it, id literally cry. if you really want a LP and really like your sg, save up and wait. there are a lot of les pauls out there. if you pick it up and it feels better and sounds better than the sg thats one thing, but if its the same or less, then youre just beinv dumb cause youll more than likely be posting a thread about how you miss the sg.

telefromhelly, your avatar is lovely.

• Members

Will i still be able to pull off...

That's what pedals are for ;)

[video=youtube;-N8GEZFZfPw]

[video=youtube;OKv5MugrKx0]

Motorcycles are awesome and I have had my fair share. Even with gas guzzling bikes averaging 45mpg, their initial investment will more than likely cover years worth of gas -- unless your daily driver is a Winnebago. A good guitar doesn't cost a penny at the pump.

• Members

Of those two, the Les Paul is by far the better guitar IMHO. Not even close.

They're obviously different guitars from a sound/playabilty standpoint- in that respect, some prefer the Les Paul and some prefer the SG. The quality of build is essentially the same though, both very good/high end products- your comment is silly, it really comes down to preference.

• Members

They're obviously different guitars from a sound/playabilty standpoint- in that respect, some prefer the Les Paul and some prefer the SG. The quality of build is essentially the same though, both very good/high end products- your comment is silly, it really comes down to preference.

That's why I added "IMHO", but the question was "which is your favorite of the two" and I answered it. I like the 57 Classics in the Les Paul a whole lot better than the 490/498 in the SG, and the Les Paul just sounds bigger, fatter and better to me.

• Members

I love my Ebony SG Standard... I say keep it. I've bought 3 other SGs since I got this one and none of them have compared... Two of them are gone already and I'm thinking about selling the 3rd one right now. If you've got a guitar you love, don't assume you can replace it someday if you start to miss it... They're not all created equally.

Archived