Recommend a rock guitar for under 1400 bucks!

MegaMustaine

• Members

Hey guys-

I currently have an Edwards E-RV-138 (RR shape) and it definitely satisfies my metal fix...but I have been playing a lot more clean/modern rock/rock stuff and need a new axe. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'd like to get something that will last me long term; a nice versatile (clean and distortion) guitar that's fun to play.

I dig my squire strat actually, so I've thought about an American strat or some type of tele; not sure which ones are considered the best. It's been ages since I've thought about buying a fender, lol. I don't have much of a problem with Les Pauls but theyre a little heavy/a little out of my price range. Thought about an SG standard maybe? Don't know how the cleans are though.

What do you guys recommend? I'd like to be able to get some crunch while maintaining cleans.

• Members

With your budget, you can get a new Gibson SG, Les Paul Studio, or a pile of other American-made guitars. Almost all of them will be good for rock. Does your amp sound good clean? Then your guitar probably will, too.

If I had to spend ~$1400 on a new guitar, I'd get an SG.

• Members

Why get a Gibson? Why not buy one of the many copies out there and put the rest into mods?

With his budget, he should be able to easily snag a guitar that doesn't need any mods.

Or he could go this route. $1400 is more than I've ever spent on a guitar, and I have a very nice '96 Gibson Les Paul Classic.

• Members

I would look for a used Heritage H150, or perhaps a used Hamer. Both great dual-HB classic rock guitars. You could get a lower-range new Gibson, which is not necessarily a bad guitar at all, but I'll take a really kickass used handmade guitar from some other brands.

Heritage%20H150%20CM%20HRW.jpg

p1_uvzxb4j0x_so.jpg

• Members

I would look for a used Heritage H150, or perhaps a used Hamer. Both great dual-HB classic rock guitars. You could get a lower-range new Gibson, which is not necessarily a bad guitar at all, but I'll take a really kickass used handmade guitar from some other brands.

Heritage%20H150%20CM%20HRW.jpg

p1_uvzxb4j0x_so.jpg

This. Gibson's quality control has been so hit-and-miss the past several years that I'd suggest really giving any potential guitar a massive once-over before buying. Hamer and Heritage have been so much more consistent and they're amazing players. I scored my USA Hamer for

Archived