Questions on a Fender American Strat

skdmrklcy

• Members

I went out again on the way home to try some stuff out and found one of these.

http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com/productDetail/productDetail.jsp?src=3WFRWXX&entProductId=511165

I really liked the way it felt in hand and the neck feels good, actually felt the same as a Deluxe I tried as well. The specs say this one is a 9.5 radius and the deluxe is a 9.5 to 14 compound radius, I wonder if the spec is wrong on this one.

I have done some searching and it seems it is a run done for Guitar Center and MF, but they now have it at Music123 and a few other web stores. I know it started in 2005 but the one I looked at had a serial number which seems to be from 2010 with some limited research (In 2009 early 2010 they put D in front of a deluxe serial number, now it is just US)

Is there any reason to get this one over a american standard if the price difference is about $100ish. I am not sure how useful the S1 switch is, I did like the contoured neck joint and the fret board feels a little better. I also really like the color and painted headstock. I do like the gray american standard as well, so the color thing is not a big deal.

The pickups I am not sure of but I think I would change them in just about any strat really.

I am rambling at this point.... I am looking to see if anyone else has checked one out and thoughts in general.

• Members

dude if you like it better than the other one, get it- 100 difference really isn't that much. I like the s1 on my strat and find it very useful for soloing, etc (i didn't see the s1 listed in those specs though ?).... . It's a very nice guitar- it's basically all personal preference at that price point.

• Members

I am still torn, I am trying to figure out a way to bond with my EBMM Silo but I do not think it will happen.

I am still trying to locate a Gibson Les Paul Studio Silverburst to try as well, but I think it is down to that and this strat.

• Members

appreciate your perspectives ... if you can't bond with a guitar, move on.

i understand you have a "certain look" in mind since you are also searching for a Silverburst. keep in mind that the color of the paint should be the least influencial part of the guitar to decide upon. the playability and tonal range are much more important - does it fit you and sound good ? after that - if you have a red one, white one and blue one and all play well and sound good - choose a color.

believe it - not all guitars are made the same. my best player probably is my Deluxe - it's freaking tangerine. i let the color grow on me because ... it plays like butter. perfect fit, and awesome sound. looks like a fruit. {censored} it. play them all and the worry about what it looks like. if looks are most important, get a cheapo.

• Members

The spec is right, this model has been out there for a couple of years, as the new deluxe with compound radius came last year.

Try harder to bond with the silo, like a month or so. From my experience it's a far superior guitar than either the lp studio or the specific strat.

• Members

The build quality of the Silo is much better if you pick it up you can just feel the difference. I am giving it some time. I just don't want to miss my return window if it isn't going to happen. I suppose I could always sell or trade it for pretty much what I have in it though.

• Members

The spec is right, this model has been out there for a couple of years, as the new deluxe with compound radius came last year.

Try harder to bond with the silo, like a month or so. From my experience it's a far superior guitar than either the lp studio or the specific strat.

It was out there for a couple of years, and it was going for $999 up until about 4 years ago, and $1299 up until just a few months ago. A $200 price increase since then.

I played one at GC about 3 years ago and it was good but did not feel as good as a deluxe I played at the same time. It's more an American Standard spec.

• Members

The reason I was wondering about the spec, It seems like they just use the deluxe neck on these. In 09 and before they were not a compound radius and neither was the deluxe, now the deluxe is. They also changed the serial numbers to US when they switched necks. It would seem odd to me to use another entire style of neck on the select, but I suppose. I would have to look at them side by side to tell I guess, or make a set of gages.

Archived