Tell Me About Laney Cubs

Woody_in_MN

• Members

Theyre great little amps, voiced very much in a vintage Laney way. I really enjoyed playing through them, they'll do hard rock at best if pushed with a pedal but they just arent voiced for metal. The build isnt as good as the lionhearts but they're still rock solid! If you're after good quality tube tones on a budget, they're pretty hard to beat!

• Members

Great little amps. I just got a Cub head and 212 cab a month ago. Haven't tried the Lionhearts but supposedly they have the same vintage voicing and they saved cash on parts and labor by making em in China. It's true they don't do modern metal even remotely. But in addition to a great classic rock sound, I can coax a classic metal sound like early Iron Maiden pretty easy. I'd say they're like a cross between a Vox and a mini version of an ol plexi.

• Members

How are the Cub 2x12 Cabinets? They are pretty cheap and the speakers are nothing special, but still.

I have the cab. It can't be beat for the price. The drivers are Celestion Rocket 50s, which are a little bland, but not bad. Even if you upgrade the speakers it still is a good deal. The downside is it only has an 8ohm input.

• Members

running two of the cubs piggybacked would be a 4 ohm load though. So if you have an combo or head that takes 4 or 8 ohm loads and you have 2 cub cabs it would be ok.

I have the cab. It can't be beat for the price. The drivers are Celestion Rocket 50s, which are a little bland, but not bad. Even if you upgrade the speakers it still is a good deal. The downside is it only has an 8ohm input.

Archived