Tell me about 300k pots on single coil Strats

elsupermanny14

• Members

If they are actually 250K and 300K, the 300K will load a pickup slightly less, so theoretically it would be slightly brighter and slightly higher output, but whether you can actually tell something like that by ear is fodder for many threads.

Also, the particular impedance and frequency response curve of any pickup will contribute as well. One pickup may not be noticably affected while another could sound quite different.

Plus, most production parts have a +/- 10% tolerance (cheap parts are often 20%) Any individual 250K pot could measure 275K and a 300K measure 270K, making any difference negligable. Of course, the actual values could be 225K and a 330K, which is a far larger difference and more likely to give you a perceptible change.

In the absence of double-blind testing, try it and see if you like it.

• Members

Well I was thinking about wiring a 300k volume pot to a 500k tone pot on my Strat for the bridge humbucker. I was thinking that two 500k pots kick in 250k of resistance and two 250k pots kick in 125k of resistance. a 500k and a 125k would combine 187.5k but if I did a 300k with a 500k I would be putting 200k of resistance on the humbucker thus bringing it closer to the resistance of two 500k pots without having to sacrifice too much on the single coils.

Anyways that's my reasoning. The George Lynch is a very trebly humbucker and I'm guessing it would take better to lower value pots than single coils would take to higher value pots.

That's my reasoning at least... Any other opinions?

Archived