Changing tuners on an Epi LP?

Shamdog

• Members

Love my Epi LP with BG Hot 90's pups in it. Looks and sounds KILLER! Can't get the bitch to stay in tune, though. It has those chrome "mushroom" looking tuners on it. Is there anything I can do to save this axe??? Would switching to Gibson "tulip" style tuners help?

• Members

I bought a set of tuners at Guitar Center for my Epi LP Special II awhile back.. They were grovers packaged in a gibson pack. They were thicker than the stock tuners plus the screw holes were different as well. I didn't wanna drive 50 miles back to return them so I had to drill new holes for them. I didn't care about the extra holes since it was a cheapo guitar but you might wanna shop around to find something that'll fit for sure.

• Members

Had a Tusq nut installed. Same problem. Doesn't make 3 songs without losing tune.

ok...some other things to check before replacing the tuners:

What gauge strings are you using?

Are you stretching them good when replacing them?

Are the screws holding the tuning machine buttons tight?

Are the bushing nuts to the tuning machines tight?

Are the strings getting hung up at the bridge?

• Members

problem is most likely the nut vs. the tuners...

This.

If you think your Epi is hot {censored} now, get a custom made nut for it and hang on! Don't use a drop in tusq replacement, have one cut especially for your guitar by a pro tech. It's the most significant change you can make to how well a guitar can play.

Vintage Clubber gave you some good advice. Follow it, get the new nut made, learn how to install strings and forget about tunning problems forever.

• Members

This.

If you think your Epi is hot {censored} now, get a custom made nut for it and hang on! Don't use a drop in tusq replacement, have one cut especially for
your
guitar by a pro tech. It's the most significant change you can make to how well a guitar can play.

Vintage Clubber gave you some good advice. Follow it, get the new nut made, learn how to install strings and forget about tunning problems forever.

Mine have the drop in TUSQ replacements and I don't have any tuning issues. I did upgrade the tuners on my Eleca to Klusons from the cheap knock offs it came with. My two Epi LP's and my Epi SG all have the stock tuners though.

• Members

Guys -

This guitar was professionally set up using #9's. I can have my guy do a custom bone nut if it helps. He did the stringing and it still falls out of tune. No issues with the bridge...it's that standard LP stop bar setup. Thanks for the ideas...Keep them coming.

• Members

Guys -

This guitar was professionally set up using #9's. I can have my guy do a custom bone nut if it helps. He did the stringing and it still falls out of tune. No issues with the bridge...it's that standard LP stop bar setup. Thanks for the ideas...Keep them coming.

years ago I was using 8's and then 9's and definately had tuning issues. I use 10's now and honestly I believe they stay in tune better than the smaller guages. I would also suggest you learn how to properly string your guitar and it may be worth trying a set of 10's to see if they stay in tune any better.

• Members

Guys -

Do it. Have your guy make the new nut. You'll be overjoyed. Remember he'll be cutting for a certain gauge so be sure about that first.

• Members

In your best Arnold Schwartzenegger voice, say "It's NOT a tunah!"

Vintage Clubber is right. In addition, are you using a heavy pick or are you digging too much into the strings? I had this problem. Switched to a lighter pick. Presto! Also, if your action is too high, it could mess with the tuning.

• Members

I think you would benefit from going up to .010s for tuning stability.

I replaced the Grover Rotomatics on my Epi '56 Gold Top with Grover Vintage Deluxe Tuners. Look like the old Klusons, work great, and drop right in the 10mm hole for the stock tuners:

Before:

hs.jpg

After:

hs1.jpg

• Members

Considering that Les Paul wanted his name off the SGs, it is worth mentioning that he said in an interview that he finds Epiphone Les Pauls to be very good instruments and finds no need to remove his name from them.

Exactly and I'd guess the man knew a thing or two about endorsement deals.

• Members

The guy who works on my guitars is good. I had the exact same problem with a Squier '51 I owned. Finally sold it and bought a Mexi Strat. No problems with that one.

As for the whole Epi vs Gibson debate, let's just leave that for another thread. I love this guitar, but just want it to stay in tune. I'm goung to try the bone nut and Klausons. Any other ideas?

• Members

The guy who works on my guitars is good. I had the exact same problem with a Squier '51 I owned. Finally sold it and bougut a Mexi Strat. No problems with that one.

As for the whole Epi vs Gibson debate, let's just leave that for another thread. I love this guitar, but just want it to stay in tune. I'm goung to try the bone nut and Klausons. Any other ideas?

Curious. What type of tuners did your MIM Strat have installed?

Archived