School me on Fender MIJ Contemporary Strats

rog951

• Members

I picked one up the other day and don't know much about it, other than it weighs next to nothing and the neck feels perfect for me. It's HSS, with a pickguard and the black headstock. Also, it's missing the trem bar from the "Kahler Floyd" and I'm starting to think that might be a bad thing from poking around on google. I'll get some NGD pix up here soon so you guys know which model I'm talking about. Anybody an expert on these things?

:poke:

• Members

I know the model.

I've never seen one with a Kahler. They all had the Schaller-made System I, II or III trems which, IIRC, was a proprietary design to that model.

Still, fretsonthenet.com is the place to go. They sell System I parts and Floyd arms that can be added to a System II or III with a change of a nut or two.

Otherwise, I've worked on a few Contemporary Strats

They have the same (IHMO) generic, bland sounding PU's that Fender Japan used on most US-bound Strats in the '80's (I don't think they are even potted). The trem never blew me away, especially considering the hassle it used to be to get parts. IIRC, it's a single locking system, the strings aren't locked at the bridge. Worse yet, it uses the locking "string tree" system that Kahler used, because Floyd had a patent on locking nuts. This is one of the reasons Kahler went out of business in the first place, the locking string tree introduces binding issues at the nut and doesn't have the same stability as locking the strings down at each end of the scale.

What do you mean "blank headstock?"

• Members

Thanks for the info guys, especially the fretsonthenet link...that's a goldmine and I'd never ever heard of it! Unfortunately, I'm away from the guitar right now but, from looking at the pix, I'm almost sure this is the trem on my guitar:

Kahler%20Traditional%20trem.jpg

And I'm almost positive this is my locking thingie at the other end (can't call it a nut - teehee):

30U-13559_headstock-front.jpg

• Members

If the locking nut is like the one pictured, that is a weak point. The nut is in between the tensioned string and the lock therefor introducing a friction point or binding point. If the nut is cut perfectly, it would be less of a problem but always have the potential for being a problem.

If it was my guitar, I would either look into having a Floyd style locking nut installed (although there doesn't seem to be much room there with the truss rod adjustment right there too) or at least have a roller nut installed. My first choice would be a Floyd style nut.

I would likely replace the pickups too after having it for a while.

• Members

Thanks for the info guys, especially the fretsonthenet link...that's a goldmine and I'd never ever heard of it! Unfortunately, I'm away from the guitar right now but, from looking at the pix, I'm almost sure this is the trem on my guitar:

Kahler%20Traditional%20trem.jpg

And I'm almost positive this is my locking thingie at the other end (can't call it a nut - teehee):

30U-13559_headstock-front.jpg

THat's odd. I don't recall MIJ contemporaries with Kahlers.

Are you sure it's not one of these? JezTannsystem1bar.jpg

• Members

If it's that Kahler, it probably is not stock.

That would be neither a surprise nor a deal-breaker for me.

IIRC, those Fender System Trems were only made for the Contemporary Strat, and if someone had an issue with one in the last 20+ years, parts were rare.

• Members

*****your sig*****

Gear: Squier Classic Vibe Telecasters, Fender Stratocasters and blue Traynor tube amps. Awesome!

Hey man...I have a blue Traynor tube amp too (YCV50). I also have the wine red one (YVC40). I was trying to get a blue 15 watter but they are rare.

• Members

If the locking nut is like the one pictured, that is a weak point. The nut is in between the tensioned string and the lock therefor introducing a friction point or binding point. If the nut is cut perfectly, it would be less of a problem but always have the potential for being a problem.

If it was my guitar, I would either look into having a Floyd style locking nut installed (although there doesn't seem to be much room there with the truss rod adjustment right there too) or at least have a roller nut installed. My first choice would be a Floyd style nut.

I would likely replace the pickups too after having it for a while.

I expect the p/us will get changed eventually...that is bound to happen with me. I'm going to try to keep the existing "string locking clamp" if I can make it work though. I like Floyd-style locking nuts, but I think it'll be tough to fit one there, like you said, and also I'm not a fan of having the extra holes if I don't need to. I know Wilkinson makes some small roller nuts so maybe I'll go that route if it gives me trouble? They looka like dis:

0990812000_lg.jpg

• Members

THat's odd. I don't recall MIJ contemporaries with Kahlers.

Are you sure it's not one of these?
JezTannsystem1bar.jpg

My memory is pretty much crap, but I'm almost positive my trem is not one of those, or the other Fender-branded Shaller "Series" type trems. I'll get some pix up tonight though and then we'll know for sure. Until then, all bets are off.

• Members

If it's that Kahler, it probably is not stock.

That would be neither a surprise nor a deal-breaker for me.

IIRC, those Fender System Trems were only made for the Contemporary Strat, and if someone had an issue with one in the last 20+ years, parts were rare.

I'm beginning to come to this line of thinking. A previous owner probably dropped this trem in when his OEM Shaller broke. Now, what will I see when I remove the trem cover? I sure hope there's no routing! :eek:

• Members

I'm beginning to come to this line of thinking. A previous owner probably dropped this trem in when his OEM Shaller broke. Now, what will I see when I remove the trem cover? I sure hope there's no routing!
:eek:

I doubt there was any need to route.

BTW, the Wilkinson rolling nut sucks, a rare "fail" from Trev Wilkinson. That's why Fender abandoned it for the superior LSR roller nut decades ago.

Archived