Heavenly bodies - photos of star trails in the California desert

• Members

All the interpersonal bashing aside, those really are tremendously cool photos! Nice job Ken.

Would you object if I put a link to them on my personal facebook page? (i.e., not my musician page, my normal civilian page)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm wondering if it was a good idea to pick on Ken, he is the Heavy Weight Champion when it comes to passionately proving his point, Shows a real lack of intelligence or real poor judgement if you've been here as long as A. Einstein.

• Members

Ken,

I think you've inspired me to try a community college course in photography. I've taken a few one day workshops, but feel like I should go for more. Regarding the gap in the star trail if you remove a pic...... you could just mask out the part of the one photo that you didn't like....it would leave the star trails intact. I decided a long time ago that my next trip into photography would not be like my first (or my last one in music) and have been pretty careful about buying software and equipment (yes, I still have way too much for my talent level.) Anyway, I looked around quite a bit, experimented etc. and ended up getting the plug ins from NIK and Topaz. I really can't imagine what else I would ever use. Both are fun and I enjoy switching between the two sets. It is also fun to watch the training videos given by the master photographers...... wow, can they make a photo pop! As can you my friend! Take care.

• Members

Yeah rjt, Topaz is really cool huh? I picked up the entire suite when it was on sale and later got B&W Effects and Star Effects. So far I have not tried it standalone, I just use it inside PS.

• Members

All the interpersonal bashing aside, those really are tremendously cool photos! Nice job Ken.

Would you object if I put a link to them on my personal facebook page? (i.e., not my musician page, my normal civilian page)

Thanks, man! Dude, I would be honored if you put a link to them on your personal Facebook page!!!! You can link to them from the link above or to the Facebook page I have for my photography. THANKS!!!!!

• Members

I'm wondering if it was a good idea to pick on Ken, he is the Heavy Weight Champion when it comes to passionately proving his point, Shows a real lack of intelligence or real poor judgement if you've been here as long as A. Einstein.

It's all good. He knows that I want him to not appear foolish in public out of love.

Just think: if we as a forum can encourage him to stop sponging off his mother and go out and be a productive member of society, he will feel so much better about himself.

~~~~~~~~

You can do it, Angelo Clematide!!!!

No doubt he'll feel inspired when he realizes that we're all banding together for him. Read these words, mighty Angelo, and listen to the the lovely strains of your MIDI flutes and Ensoniq timpanis. Carpe diem! Let go of your mother's apron and go out into the world!

• Members

Wow. Thanks, Ray. I'm really flattered. For me, the biggest compliment I can ever have is to inspire someone in that way!!!

Regarding the gap in the star trail if you remove a pic...... you could just mask out the part of the one photo that you didn't like....it would leave the star trails intact.

Thanks! Yup, that's what I ended up doing is erasing the foreground that was too bright while keeping the stars intact. Easy in Photoshop.

I decided a long time ago that my next trip into photography would not be like my first (or my last one in music) and have been pretty careful about buying software and equipment (yes, I still have way too much for my talent level.)

Whaddaya talkin' about? I remember you having really cool photos!!!

Anyway, I looked around quite a bit, experimented etc. and ended up getting the plug ins from NIK and Topaz. I really can't imagine what else I would ever use. Both are fun and I enjoy switching between the two sets. It is also fun to watch the training videos given by the master photographers...... wow, can they make a photo pop! As can you my friend! Take care.

Those people are absolutely sickening, they're so good! Amazing!!!! I've gotta try out Topaz. So many people seem to really love it. Nik is awesome, and for me, the interface is intuitive, and obviously, the software is fantastic.

I try really hard to get the image right in the first place. Sorta like recording where the best recordings are almost always the ones where you got everything right in the first place (good placement of the microphone in front of a good instrument played by a good musician in a good room, that kind of thing). I don't usually have to do too much processing afterwards. Just making sure it's cohesive. I don't even touch the saturation anymore because I'm getting the exposure right. Now, don't get me wrong, just like everyone else, there's a lot of shots I chuck. They're horrible. And out of those, there's the occasional one that I think is really not all that great, but for whatever reason, I have to save it, so I wrestle it to the ground in Photoshop and try and come up with something pleasing ("fixing it in the mix!").

There's one of the New River Gorge bridge that I took either last year or the year before, I forget. It was hazy and bright, right in the middle of the day, just an awful time to take a photo, but my girlfriend wanted me to take a nice photo of the bridge anyway. Oh boy. Got it home and looked at it. It looked like crap, all washed out. "Well...just do the best you can with it. I'd love to show my family this because they really are proud of the bridge." (it was for many years the longest steel arch bridge in the world. It is now the third largest arch bridge in the world, and still the longest in the Western Hemisphere, and appears in the West Virginia edition of the U.S. quarter).

414newriverbridge.jpg

Somehow, after wrestling with the damn thing for over an hour in Photoshop, I managed to get it looking bettere by using a combination of who knows what, I don't remember, desaturating it, enhancing the haze to make part of the background glow from instead of just look washed out, and heightening the contrast by using some of the Nik software stuff, and somehow, it ended up looking good enough that it's been in a few magazines, including some published in West Virginia. Weird. You just never know. But most of the time, this kind of thing doesn't work so well, at least for me!!! :D

I went to a meetup.com Photoshop group about a month ago. I guess I was supposed to have gone to a previous meeting. Ooops. I was utterly bewildered by what they were talking about. It's amazing what people can do with Photoshop, but I just so badly suck at it still, but I learn a lot more each year. Forward, forward!!!

• Members

Ewww. He sponge bathes his mother? Must be some Swedish thing.

On top of being inspired by Ken's pics, an excellent source of info in the podcast this week in photo. It's free and they cover a lot of ground. IDK who knows it, but Ken ( from memory) placed three photos in the LA Times top 100 last year. He is the real deal.

Re personal insults- at some point, people need to be called out. This guy should have been banned long ago, yet he has 7k plus posts, most that add nohing, are not friendly, and now, we have him temporarily plagiarizing a guy I consider a friend. Craig knows me well enough to know that I am joking about embarassing him at gearfest, but, the ban request stands.

• Members

You'll continue to insult people,
Angelo Clematide
, but we know that deep down, you're hurting inside. A mother's lack of attention will do that to you. But know that we won't insult you back because we care about you, and we care enough about you to hope that you stop embarrassing yourself in public.

That, my friend, is true love.

Cue the tranquil block chords of the soft synth playing
(oh dear me, I can't read the rest of that title) by master composer Angelo Clematide. Let the world hear your greatness, I say!!!! Feel the healing warmth of this forum, and feel the pain release from your tortured soul. Feel that? Yes. You will never insult my friend Dean again because you realize that through this forum and the healing sounds of your soft synth presets, you know unconditional love. Your audience who riding the elevators of Shu! in Vien appreciate your genius,
Angelo Clematide

Yes Ken Lee, aka Ustad KhanAli, keep on listening to that ambient chord, and I tell the Pope to send you a Saint Diploma plus an autographed Woitila CD.

Music is the language of God and life as genius and composer is easy, and consider yourself fortunate that I am not Ludwig van Beethoven, btw, I am of the same opinion about that Bridge as the Bishop at the end of the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bifQXdm1BUg

• Members

You'll continue to insult people,
Angelo Clematide

Oh, and by the way Ken Lee,

that I removed your watermark and corrected the color of one photos is a relative mild crime compared to that you keep on posting links to a pirated CD.

In case the tax authority show up at my place, then I must call the LA state attorney and the RIAA, so they visit you and hit you on your pirate fingers with a ruler.

• Members

No, no photos of Scarlett Johansson or Mila Kunis here. Yet.
:D

Went out to the desert last weekend to take some night photos! Here are some of the photos and text about hanging out and watching the stars and all the technical information about stacking, star trails, night photos, long exposure photography, and the creative process, all a lot of fun!!

http://www.elevenshadows.com/travels/joshuatree2012maynightskyworkshop/

The photos are also on my
Ken Lee Photography Facebook Page

I really appreciate the encouragement and support some of you have given! T'anks!!!!!

I also have a blog entry on my
Ken Lee Photography blog
that describes in glorious detail how I created a star trails photo from last month. There's a few photographers on this forum who have asked me how to do this, and I've gotten quite a few Facebook messages, comments, and emails asking how how I created it, so here it is!! If you have any further questions about it, I would encourage you to ask on the blog so everyone who visits can benefit from the discusison. And please like or share it if you find it useful. Thanks!!!!!!!!

http://kenleephotography.wordpress.com/2012/06/01/photo-tip-5-steps-to-creating-this-star-trails-photo-includes-stacking-in-photoshop/

STACKED-archrock-052712-bluesky2-700px.j

109hiddenvalleyrock052612-700px.jpg

117archrock052612-700px.jpg

STACKED-hiddenvalleystartrails700px.jpg

Great shots Ken! Love shooting the sky..............What are you tracking with?

Some of my astrophotography.

http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g41/stomias/Sky/

• Members

.......yet he has 7k plus posts......

I think he had about 15,000,000 more and this number is what he racked up since his recent return from a previous banning. Or maybe he was just hiding out. When he was Rude-ey Von Dick{censored}tenhausen or Paulio McFartney or whoever........

• Members

Great shots Ken! Love shooting the sky..............What are you tracking with?

Forgive me for not knowing exactly what that means, but I'm still learning all this!!!!

There's a bunch of info here on my photography blog about how I am creating star trails. But basically, I am just using a Feisol tripod and a Nikon D90 and a Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 lens, taking multiple images and then combining them in Photoshop CS4 so the net result is an exposure of, depending on the photo, either 33 minutes or 48 minutes in total.

If, by tracking, you mean I am using an apparatus to track the stars' movements, then no, I am doing no such thing.

And the two night sky photos where the stars appear as "normal" pinpoints of light are simply relatively short exposures, at least by night sky photography standards, as those two are f/2.8 at ISO 800 for 30 seconds with the Tokina wide angle again.

Some of my astrophotography.

Those are really great! I think I saw those before, but no matter, I really like those a lot!

Astrophotography is something I have not done, so a lot what you're doing is a whole new universe to me. As it is, I'm quite new to night photography, but I hope to be doing more of this during the summer!!!!

• Members

Oh, and by the way Ken Lee,

that I removed your watermark and corrected the color of one photos is a relative mild crime compared to that you keep on posting links to a pirated CD.

Be proud of your work, Angelo!

Oh, and consider the whole sum of your performance in just this thread alone. You post something. I ask you to take it down. You don't. I ask you again. You still don't. It takes hours before you finally take it down. Through this, I was quite polite and respectful in my request.

Then you insult my friend.

I could really feel your torment, so some healing Muzak featuring lovely sequenced MIDIflute Patch #39 smelodies are just the thing to bring peace to your tortured soul.

I do this only because I care about you.

If you continue to lash out in anguish and insult my friend, what choice do I have but to try and ease your turmoil?

Remember, Angelo, I'm here to help.

• Members

Ken, it is my understanding that he is referring to some type of stand or tripod that actually tracks whatever celestial body you are photographing. Because of the distance and other physics by the time you focus and set your shutter etc and hit the shutter release....the star, moon, sun etc that you are trying to photograph has moved. Up there is has moved a lot in relation to us....... but down here it moves just enough to blur the image. For a supersharp image you need a device to attach the camera to that follows the object and I would not be surprised if it is not just a linear thing. I think some of the better telescope mounts/tripods are computer controlled and you can lock on perfectly, or close to it, to the body you want to follow. Needless to say, at that distance, the slightest jar or bump etc, rough focus adjustment etc will possibly get you off the object.

I'm gonna go look this up but I think it's close.

He thinks you used a tracking stand rather than timed images with a fixed camera catching the stars themselves moving. The other way around.

• Members

Ken, it is my understanding that he is referring to some type of stand or tripod that actually tracks whatever celestial body you are photographing.

He thinks you used a tracking stand rather than timed images with a fixed camera catching the stars themselves moving. The other way around.

Thanks!!!! That's kinda what I thought he might be getting at.

What's remarkable is that I could actually perceive the stars moving when I finally was able to slow down and just sit there and observe them. I could easily tell which direction they were moving. Cool!!!

• Members
Thanks!!!!

What's remarkable is that I could actually perceive the stars moving when I finally was able to slow down and just sit there and observe them. I could easily tell which direction they were moving. Cool!!!

Many moons ago:lol: I had just transferred from the base I did basic at to the base that was to be home for a while. In the first week there some buddies and I got baked one night and were walking around familiarizing ourselves with the place-well that was the cover story for the MP's. We were walking across a sports field when I fell into a 2' wide and maybe 2' deep trench/ditch that was freshly dug for something or other...irrigation maybe, buried electrical...who knows. Long assed ditch....all the way across this field.

Well, as I was trying to start getting out I looked up and the night sky was just gorgeous....stars out, clear as ever, no lamps or building lights, car lights etc interfering. Just pitch black and beautiful celestial bodies up there. So I just lay there. The height of the ditch walls on either side prevented me from seeing anything at ground level.....all I could see was the sky straight up, absolutely no distractions. I stayed there for a very long time, the night was almost totally silent, no activity....my buddies didn't notice or didn't care......I just lay there and totally concentrated on the stars and planets. It was one of the most astoundingly cool times I can remember.:cool:

• Members

Ken,

I totally agree with your statement which is reiterated in the interview they did with you some time ago about your philosophy of photography. Go with the equipment you have and TAKE THE BEST SHOT POSSIBLE. You can do a heck of a lot after a great capture. I'm a bit busy planning a month in Turkey and Greece, but if it works out I'll take a class before I leave..... if not, soon after I return. Thanks man. Appreciate your contributions to the forum.

Take care

• Members

Forgive me for not knowing exactly what that means, but I'm still learning all this!!!!

There's a bunch of info
here on my photography blog about how I am creating star trails
. But basically, I am just using a Feisol tripod and a Nikon D90 and a Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 lens, taking multiple images and then combining them in Photoshop CS4 so the net result is an exposure of, depending on the photo, either 33 minutes or 48 minutes in total.

If, by
tracking
, you mean I am using an apparatus to track the stars' movements, then no, I am doing no such thing.

And the two night sky photos where the stars appear as "normal" pinpoints of light are simply relatively short exposures, at least by night sky photography standards, as those two are f/2.8 at ISO 800 for 30 seconds with the Tokina wide angle again.

Those are really great! I think I saw those before, but no matter, I really like those a lot!

Astrophotography is something I have not done, so a lot what you're doing is a whole new universe to me. As it is, I'm quite new to night photography, but I hope to be doing more of this during the summer!!!!

I thought you might be using a mount to track. In the days of film you could never get pinpoint star images of any depth without tracking. Todays cameras can capture so much more starlight in a much shorter exposure.

This was with film and a 20 min exposure obviously tracked:

NAneb.jpg

This is a 60 sec. digital frame not tracked:

DSC_0192copy2.jpg

• Members
Many moons ago:lol: I had just transferred from the base I did basic at to the base that was to be home for a while. In the first week there some buddies and I got baked one night and were walking around familiarizing ourselves with the place-well that was the cover story for the MP's. We were walking across a sports field when I fell into a 2' wide and maybe 2' deep trench/ditch that was freshly dug for something or other...irrigation maybe, buried electrical...who knows. Long assed ditch....all the way across this field.

Well, as I was trying to start getting out I looked up and the night sky was just gorgeous....stars out, clear as ever, no lamps or building lights, car lights etc interfering. Just pitch black and beautiful celestial bodies up there. So I just lay there. The height of the ditch walls on either side prevented me from seeing anything at ground level.....all I could see was the sky straight up, absolutely no distractions. I stayed there for a very long time, the night was almost totally silent, no activity....my buddies didn't notice or didn't care......I just lay there and totally concentrated on the stars and planets. It was one of the most astoundingly cool times I can remember.
:cool:

Where's the "like" button? :D

• Members

Ken,

I totally agree with your statement which is reiterated in the interview they did with you some time ago about your philosophy of photography. Go with the equipment you have and
TAKE THE BEST SHOT POSSIBLE
. You can do a heck of a lot after a great capture. I'm a bit busy planning a month in Turkey and Greece, but if it works out I'll take a class before I leave..... if not, soon after I return. Thanks man. Appreciate your contributions to the forum.

Take care

Sure thing. I think it's like having modest equipment while recording. I always feel like if we're clever enough, we can come up with a solution that allows us to still get the sound that we want somehow. At any rate, we use what we have, make no excuses, and then if we can afford something better later, something that genuinely what we want to achieve easier and better, then we get that. And not because marketing weasels told us we need it, but because it will genuinely improve what we do.

Have a great trip to Turkey and Greece...sounds fantastic!!!!

Archived