Carlos Santana; what the hell happened to him?

EricJohn

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I see what you mean. Blackmore still has great chops, and didn't go down the decline that some guitarists like Page did (since Page, as much as I love the guy, isn't playing as nice as he used to).

What I was trying to say though is guys like Blackmore and Clapton still play well today. In some ways they play technically better than they ever did, and certainly improved since the 60s and 70s. Santana is still a monster player, I'd never deny that. But what I mean is that Blackmore and the ones I named aren't playing the burning solos, heavy riffs or in the fiery style that made them popular back then.

Like Blackmore, who played well in the clips you posted, isn't doing any of the heavy stuff like he did with Deep Purple and his other groups that made such an influence on hard rock and metal. Blackmore's still a great guitarist, but what he plays now is a far cry from his "Burn", "Machinehead", and Rainbow days.

Not necessarily a bad thing, but I just mean that people will play different styles of music as they get older. It's understandable, and if they want to do it, they can go ahead.

While Gillan and company are still playing "Smoke on the Water" as their encore Ritchie is playing what he wants to where he wants to with his wife he gets to call all the shots.

It's mostly acoustic but he still digs out the strat and rips it up on occasion. I'll try to find a clip as an example. I don't want to hijack the Santana thread so, when I have more time, I'll start a Blackmore's Night one.

• Members

I dunno man.

I saw him tonight at the Pengrowth Saddledome and I've seen him many many times.He was killing it. Great tone,great playing ,wicked band with great arrangements.I totally understand if he's not your cup of tea but I seriously doubt all these naysayers could walk on stage and bring any kind of heat compared to Carlos. Lets be honest ... he invented latin rock ...and regulary holds his own with the best musicians on the planet...what have we done lately????

• Members

I see what you mean. Blackmore still has great chops, and didn't go down the decline that some guitarists like Page did (since Page, as much as I love the guy, isn't playing as nice as he used to).

What I was trying to say though is guys like Blackmore and Clapton still play well today. In some ways they play technically better than they ever did, and certainly improved since the 60s and 70s. Santana is still a monster player, I'd never deny that. But what I mean is that Blackmore and the ones I named aren't playing the burning solos, heavy riffs or in the fiery style that made them popular back then.

Like Blackmore, who played well in the clips you posted, isn't doing any of the heavy stuff like he did with Deep Purple and his other groups that made such an influence on hard rock and metal. Blackmore's still a great guitarist, but what he plays now is a far cry from his "Burn", "Machinehead", and Rainbow days.

Not necessarily a bad thing, but I just mean that people will play different styles of music as they get older. It's understandable, and if they want to do it, they can go ahead.

Some of the guitarist you mentioned I agree don't have the fire anymore. Blackmore, like many of them, now does a different style of music than what initially made him famous. And he also kept his chops up as well, as some of his contemporaries have, some haven't. However, you don't hear the same inspiration or fire in many of his contemporaries more recent music as he has in his work with Blackmore's Night. He may not being playing rock anymore, but he still has the same passion and energy as he did when he was younger.

• Members

He peaked at Woodstock on acid. Drugged up and young works for rock and roll. His stuff after Abraxas bores me. Peter Green is another that seems bland now compared to early days. I am glad they keep playing and some enjoy them even if I do not.

• Members

First off Peter Green is a whole different story. The guy was given some really bad acid and fried his brain out to the point he could not even play for decades. Till this day John McVie who still remembers who the guy is, said right on TV if he ever sees him he will kill him, and he was serious.

Santana has always been one of my idols and the phrase "A tone so great you know who it is with one note" along with Brian May never fit a player better. The guy has made so much great music and has played with the best of the best from John McLaughlin to Jeff Beck, and can hold his own with anyone. I can put on Samba Pa Ti and Europa till this day and it sounds just as brilliant as when I first heard them. I thought the Supernatural album was good and the guy got the acolades and Grammy's due to him for a lifetime body of brilliant work.I picked up the new album when it came out Guitar Heaven, which is an all covers album of some of the greatest songs ever and I wanted to vomit! I am serious when I say I gave it one full listen and threw it out, possibly one of the worst albums ever made by a player of this calibre. I am cringing just thinking about it. The album sounds like if someone just made a mixed tape of their favorite songs and noodled in dorian over them.I do not think Carlos is finished, but if he does not get away from the guest star and I play formula, I will not be listening.

• Members
I saw Carlos laughing all the way to the bank the other day with a young chicken hanging on to him.

I had the opportunity of playing with Jose Chepito in the '90's, that short baby-faced guy on the cover of one of the first albums. It seems he and his heirs own 1/2 rights to anything done under the name "Santana". Maybe Carlos just got tired of working for someone else.

Archived