guitar still has volume when volume at zero

jcksn1234

• Members

I just rewired my les paul for that jimmy page style wiring. i know i wired everything correctly with the 4 push pulls, but i still get volume on both pickups when they are at zero. I am thinking it might be a grounding issue. any thoughs?

• Members

well i wired it up this way exactly: http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=jp_style

everything works like it should except for when i turn the volume down. the guitar signal still bleeds through. not sure what it is. it might be the pots i got from stewart macdonald. i also am using a seymour duncan jazz and jb pups.

• Members

hmm tru dat. i am going back to the original above and i am really going to check the grounds. i hope the wire is not loose that goes to the bridge.

A loose bridge ground won't cause the problem you are having, it would cause noise/hum. Your circuit ground is the sleeve of the output jack. Make sure all grounds eventually terminate there.

• Members

well i set it back up the first way and same problem. i have noticed that when i am not touching the guitar and i touch each pot with my finger the slight hum goes away except for the neck volume pot. the noise increase in volume. maybe that is where my problem is?

• Members

If you have the volume pots right most tab soldered to ground, and ground common between all components, you shouldn't have any sound coming out. I would think that even a bad pot can reach either extreme well enough unless truly beaten to hell during shipment, e.g. stepped on by an elephant, etc.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

well after waiting on new pots and doing a clean rewire i figured out the problem with a bit of research. if you use the seymour duncan jimmy page wiring diagram from their site, and you get a ton of noise and the volume does not go silent at zero just switch the wires on the 1 and 2 lugs on both volume pots. I also have all the grounds going to a single ring, but i am not sure if that is necessary since i did that before switching the lugs. but now it sounds great and the wiring is all clean! thanks for the suggestions guys!

Archived