Question to the Nut Makers out there

Gas Hed

• Members

What kind of guitar? String trees? How's the string height at that particular slot? It could be a few things, but if everything's in order otherwise, the slot may just need to be worked/smoothed out a little.

MIM Tele with trees on 1 and 2 only. Aftermarket bone nut. I really can't go any lower with the cut, wondering if I just start smoothing it out with a deeper angle towards the headstock.

• Members

Yup.........as above.

A common problem with violin nuts too which I am used to correcting. You need to ensure that the string leaves the not slot precisely at the bridge facing edge, which involves angling back the slot from the edge smoothly. Angled headstocks seem to suffer less.........string trees on flat headstocks help a lot. Careful use of stacked feeler guages will help ensure you do not inadvertently lower the entire slot too much. (Having said that-i not infrequently lower slots too much and blow the nut so take it easy!)

If you can't get it right.....or are overzealous.......and only one or 2 slots are messed up, you can backfill the slot with super glue and bicarb (superglue and ebony dust in the case of a violin) and start again. A quick fix dodge that (usually) works for me.