Bringing your gear abroad??

Kuz929

• Members

So I might be going to South Korea for a year to teach English, and it left me wondering...

How am I going to be able to play guitar over there!? I definitely don't want to trust my beloved gear to the TSA and I sure as hell can't ship it all there. I most likely won't be playing out with anyone while I'm there so I'll just need a little bedroom rig to see me through. Do you think it would just be cheaper to buy something over there?

What have you guys done in similar situations?

• Members

I take guitars back and forth on the plane from Australia to Canada all the time. Good case, plenty of padding, placed in a secure cardboard box and you are good to go. I pack my guitar good enough that it could be thrown off a 1 story building. Never had a problem. I'd buy the amp there as it is probably different voltage.

• Members

I take guitars back and forth on the plane from Australia to Canada all the time. Good case, plenty of padding, placed in a secure cardboard box and you are good to go. I pack my guitar good enough that it could be thrown off a 1 story building. Never had a problem.
I'd buy the amp there as it is probably different voltage

Ohh! Good call, I didnt even think of that! :facepalm:

• Members

take one electric, one acoustic (if you play acoustic a good amount), and get a good headphone amp or computer/iphone/ipad amp program. You can take a few pedals too. You can always take one guitar as carry-on, and if need be, check in the other one. I've once, against my will, checked in an acoustic, and I had to stuff the case with socks and t-shirts and whatnot to get get it really tight, but it came out fine.

• Members

I'm in Yongsan, South Korea right now (Seoul). Depending on where you are going to be, I would recommend a headphone amp instead of a regular amp. I have a POD HD I run through headphones and my computer's speakers, and that's all I need. I'm pretty sure the voltage is different from the states, but I live on a military installation, and we have 120v on post. Plan on where you live being really small, with a LOT of really close neighbors.

• Members

When I bring guitars home to Canada from Japan I put the bolt ons in my hard shell suitcase ... worked great so far. We`re talkin just a few hours...24 at most so no trouble with necks yet...but jesus...gotta figure there`s gonna be SOME guitars in Korea all things considered plus you may be so busy with the Korean girls you won`t have much time for guitars.

Archived