Low end Jaguars (specifically: squier vintage modified)

twotimingpete

• Members

I've been doing some downsizing lately, but the silver lining in all of that is I've decided to allow myself to get a low end guitar to replace all the midrange gear I've sold off.

I've been looking at the various low-end jaguar options. specifically, squier vintage modified (or *maybe* a blacktop if I can get a really good deal).

DV016_Jpg_Large_H69850.002_3-tone_sunbur

I don't have much experience with squier outside of the classic vibe I used to have, which I felt was very solid. Anyone have any first hand experience with the vintage modifieds (especially the jaguar)?

• Members

This looks just like the VM JM. I doubt it's very different, too. I know you're thinking of a Jaguar, but have you lent any thought to the J Mascis Jazzmaster. I'm hearing good things on it so far, knock on wood. Have to wait for Phil's final verdict, though.

• Members

So is it the offset shape that appeals to you? Because a Jazzmaster or a Jaguar loaded with humbuckers is a very different animal than either guitar with the pickups they were intended to have.

I've into jaguars and JMs, honestly. I'm leaning towards jaguar for the 24 inch scale right now, but am open to other things if the right thing at the right price comes around.

this may sound strange, but I'm also open to many pickup types at this point. I just want something cool. I can find a good tone that works for me with any pickup.

• Members

I've into jaguars and JMs, honestly. I'm leaning towards jaguar for the 24 inch scale right now, but am open to other things if the right thing at the right price comes around.

this may sound strange, but I'm also open to many pickup types at this point. I just want something cool. I can find a good tone that works for me with
any
pickup.

That was the reason for my question. If you're into Jaguars for the sound they're known for, then the guitar in your original post will be a disappointment for you. The only thing about that guitar that is a Jaguar is the shape. The pickups and electronics in that particular guitar aren't going to give you the Jaguar sound. Just something to think about as you decide. If you're just digging the Jaguar shape, then I suppose it's a moot point.

• Members

That was the reason for my question. If you're into Jaguars for the sound they're known for, then the guitar in your original post will be a disappointment for you. The only thing about that guitar that is a Jaguar is the shape. The pickups and electronics in that particular guitar aren't going to give you the Jaguar sound. Just something to think about as you decide. If you're just digging the Jaguar shape, then I suppose it's a moot point.

no, I'm not a jaguar purist. I don't even know that I fully "get it", since I can get those surf tones with other guitars pretty easily if I wanted to.

• Members

umm are these "low end" in terms of price? I'd guess not

No. But I played one witha Stetsbar ProII trem. Out of this world toanz and just butter to play.

If you ever interest yourself in a custom build again you might want to look into it.

On a side note, My Squier VM Jaguar Bass is my main stage bass. It sounds incredible. Sansamp doesn't hurt either

121.jpg

I'd recommend looking for the CGS serial #. They are the top builder of this line.... but the Indonesians are catching up

• Members

wow. so it's a low end jazzmaster that.. actually seems to really be a jazzmaster? what's the price point and when does it come out? also what colors?

Yeah, the trem is closer and has the MIM sharper bridge angle - and the trem isn't a locking trem - but it has JM pickups, JM trem, and JM rhythm circuit.

Word is $380 street, and right now it seems that is the only color available. They're apparently supposed to start shipping late this month/ early next.

Here's the thread those pics were taken from...

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2836494-Placed-here-with-the-sole-intention-of-teasing-you-while-I-am-busy-opening-it-up...

• Members

I was also looking at this just now, the main downside being that I find its body shape to be "close enough to look like a jazzmaster, but different enough to sorta be weird" -- sort of an uncanny area -- but I've heard good things about these maldens. I have no idea if it's hype or what.

http://maldenguitars.com/storeLiquid3ts.htm

Archived