Getting major wood for the new Epiphone ES-339.

honeyiscool

• Members

And I'm talking like hard maple here, not obeche or any of that soft stuff.

DV016_Jpg_Large_H77391.003_cherry_R.jpg

DV016_Jpg_Large_H77391.002_natural_R.jpg

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-es-339-electric-guitar

Just beautiful, simply beautiful. The main thing I don't like about the 335 series of guitars is the size, but with the 339, you don't have that problem, since it's just a bit bigger than the Les Paul. Plus, with coil splits pre-wired in, that's extra versatility you just don't expect in a $499 Epiphone.

I just don't see where I'd get a classier instrument for cheap.

• Members

The main thing I don't like about the 335 series of guitars is the size, but with the 339, you don't have that problem, since it's just a bit bigger than the Les Paul. Plus, with coil splits pre-wired in, that's extra versatility you just don't expect in a $499 Epiphone.

I just don't see where I'd get a classier instrument for cheap.

I prefer a 339 over a 335 for that reason. The tone is a bit different, but I like that aspect of them too.

• Members

As far as Gibsons go, the 339 doesn't sound much at all like a 335. I'd guess it will be the same case with the Epis.

I'm not saying the 339 is bad. On the contrary, it's a cool and pretty unique guitar. Just doesn't sound like a 335, much more like a LP.

• Members

I guess current LPs are semi hollows anyway. :poke:

With all the weight relief, I'd say so too.

The 339 doesn't sound exactly like an LP but closer to that than the 335. I guess it has to do with the body size.

I had a semihollow Epi LP, a copy of Gibby's Florentine. I modded it with SD mini humbuckers. Turned out really nice. Wonderfully light. Still sounded like an LP.

Archived