Wiring Help!!!

dimibetan

• Members

Hi there. Good day to all!!!

I'm having a Strat HH build and I wanted to have a 3-way switch (tele switch) with 1 push/pull pot for coil splitting. Looking at the SD site's wiring diagrams, I was confuse with this two:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_1v_1t_3w_1pp

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=tele_2hum_2pushpull

They are both HH but the Gibson style switch have both PU's red & white wires to push/pull while the Tele style which have green & black from neck and red & white from bridge to push/pull.

The questions are:

- What is the difference between the two?

- Which diagram will do (Pull to split) position1 = bridge slug coil only, position2 = bridge and neck slugs only, position3 = neck slug only?

Thanks in advance!!!

• Members

Both do what you want, but the problem is tgat there is no standard colour coding. The tele one mixes a Fender pickup and an SD pickup so the colours need to be wired differently.

You need to follow the right scheme for your pickups and switch. If you have 2 SD humbuckers, then the first diagram is correct.

• Members

Both do what you want, but the problem is tgat there is no standard colour coding. The tele one mixes a Fender pickup and an SD pickup so the colours need to be wired differently.

You need to follow the right scheme for your pickups and switch. If you have 2 SD humbuckers, then the first diagram is correct.

Thanks...

What would it sound like if I use the screw coils?

• Members

What you should do is split the coils in such a way that when both are split, you still have hum cancellation between the coils.

I cant find any diagrams that will hum cancel a split coil. I only found parallel switching... Would that be fine? What would the sound like?

Can you give me a link or links of diagrams that will equate to this result (humcancelled split coiling)?

Thanks

• Members

that tele diagram should yield hum cancelling in all positions, hence the green/black and red/white being swapped on the neck pickup. if you use that diagram but the pickups are out of phase swap the white and red wires from the neck pickup around.

Sorry, I'm not really good at english. I'm not American nor British... Do you mean, I'll follow the tele diagram but I have to swap the red and white wires so that the pickups will be in-phase and will humcancel in all positions even splitcoil mode?

Reference: (Duncan color code)

GREEN = start of south coil

RED = finish of south coil

BLACK = start of north coil

WHITE = finish of north coil

Thanks

• Members

No, follow the Tele diagram exactly. That's the wiring diagram you have to follow in order to get hum cancellation in the middle position.

I just found out that: GREEN = start of adjustable/south coil, RED = finish of adjustable/south coil, BLACK = start of stud/north coil, WHITE = finish of stud/north coil. if I'm going to follow the tele diagram, will the neck only activate the screw coil during coil split? How will it sound if I use the screw coil?

• Members

The slug coil is usually a bit hotter than the screw coil but not always. In most pickups, they sound similar enough, and whichever side is closer to the neck usually has the smoother sound. Really, split humbuckers generally just sound like exactly that, split humbuckers. However, when you get two neck and bridge coils that are hum canceling, you get a very Telecaster in the middle type of sound. Very usable, actually.

• Members

Thanks to all your replies! It really helped!

I think I got it now... I'll try the Tele diagram and experiment with switching the red and white wires... Its not really hard to solder, anyway.

The parts for my build are almost complete, just pickup, pickguard, knobs and switch areremaining. Actually, I haven't decided yet which scheme I should use that's why these parts are not ordered yet. Here are my options so far (photoshoped):

Guitar-Build_001.jpg

Guitar-Build_006.jpg

Guitar-Build_007.jpg

Will post actual pics after...

Archived