How Much Does It Cost to Make A Hit Song?

Ernest Buckley

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Anderton

View Post

It's entirely selfish...I want to hear inspired music from people, not assembly-line stuff. I'm a music junkie, so I'm always looking for a better high smile.gif

As am I. Which is why the hand-wringing over the production and marketing costs of the assembly-line dreck puzzles me...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by TieDyedDevil

View Post

As am I. Which is why the hand-wringing over the production and marketing costs of the assembly-line dreck puzzles me...

Probably because back in the day, the money was spread around a greater number of artists to see which ones would "stick" - something decided by the public, disc jockeys, and of course, payola entered into it too smile.gif As a result from time to time you'd have artists who just came out of nowhere and became successful. Probably anyone John Hammond signed to CBS would not have been signed if the environment of that time paralleled today's environment.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by blue2blue

View Post

I would really like to sit in on one of those project-oriented writing camps though... All the creative magic of a focus group made out of bored, only-in-it-for-the-money hacks.

Quote Originally Posted by TieDyedDevil

View Post

Everyone involved in the project is there for the payday. I'm sure no one involved hears their work on the radio and thinks, "wow, that was inspired!"

I think, to a degree, if you're gonna make pop music a career, whether as a writer, producer, or performer, you have to have the stomach for it. If not, you wouldn't have gotten into it in the first place.

I've never been to one of the major music centers (I'm not sure New York counts anymore), so my opinion probably doesn't count for much. But I suspect the mentality is different there. People migrate to these areas to have a go at being successful in music, so everybody there is of a similar mindset. It's sort of a bubble that everyone lives in, where "pop" and "mass appeal" aren't bad words, and are actually something worthy of aspiring to. If you aren't from there, and on the outside looking in, it all seems sort of strange, and easy to thumb your nose at. But I do think a lot of people working in the creative parts of the music industry truly believe there is purpose in what they are doing. Something has to be driving them other than a paycheck, since it takes a really long time before most of them ever see one, if at all. There are much easier ways to make money.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by blue2blue

View Post

I would really like to sit in on one of those project-oriented writing camps though... All the creative magic of a focus group made out of bored, only-in-it-for-the-money hacks.

I`ve done this a couple of times... it can be fun and it can be torture. Sometimes things just don`t click and you end up forcing melodies/lyrics, etc... Then there are times when the energy is great and you just go with it.

I sort of equate it with a band. Sometimes a new player adds a layer or excitement that was not previously there. Other times, that one player can completely ruin a good thing.

Lastly, I don`t know if you were joking Blue but I would`t call these focus groups a bunch of "bored, only-in-it-for-the-money hacks". From my experience, they`re usually pretty talented ladies and lads in their own right.

Archived