I'm Thinking About Writing A Book

MikeRivers

• Members

2 cents about musicial 'knowledge'.

As someone that came into music pretty late (41)...bring my experience from other disciplines, I honestly was just blown away at how archaic 'pro' knowledge seemed to be.

I mean the first time I sat in a sound booth at a local club to learn from the guy running the gig, I was like 'ok, so where is the sound meter?'....'why is it so loud?'...'why are you turning up the vocal when all you have to do is turn down the singers wedge?'..

Just obvious stuff...and this guy was a fixture in the area, a go to guy for sound..

I mean I sit down with people in this area that have 35 years under their belts in music, and it's the same bull{censored}...absolutely no clue about sound check, song choice....and this is coming from a newbie....

My theory is that music has been infected by this Rolling Stone druggy anyone can do it type of thing where you have a certain half ass 'be loud, doesn't matter' type of philosophy that has infected everything....

It translates into this thing where if you hit a blues jam it's just sad, no one tries, no one knows what they are doing, they don't care...and that translates all the way to big gigs were the big boys who just go 5 million to fill a stadium can't play, their sound guy is out to lunch...Rock and Roll...

I don't think this stuff is that hard....

• CMS Author

Everyone, it seems, thinks that he can mix if only he can get some sound out of the system at all. Everyone thinks he can record if only he can get audio into his computer. With all of those jacks on the mixer, where to you connect the speakers? or why the recording level changes every time they change the volume in the speakers (because they don't know what Control Room outputs are). It boggles my mind that people can't at least figure that much out from the manuals, and maybe you think I'm not giving the musician who bought a bunch of sound equipment enough credit, but I've seen the same questions far too many times.

The "advanced" stuff is to understand where to plug in the guitars, and why, as soon as the monitors get just barely loud enough, the system screams. Anyone can read articles on line about turning something down rather than turning something else up, or how you need a pop screen when recording vocals, or the reason why something doesn't work is because of an impedance mismatch (which is usually wrong).

• Members

Then why do I see so many forum posts that prompt me to write a book like this? I guess those people either don't know about YouTube or they couldn't relate what one person was showing them about a particular piece of equipment with what they have.

Besides, you can't buy a house with what you can make from a YouTube video. You probably can't even buy a blank CD.

well, if you think you can help people by writing a book then write a book :idk:

YouTube has become a revolutionary educational tool with people logging on in droves to learn how to do everything from scramble an egg to mix tracks in Ableton Live.

that anyone can upload a video is part of the power... there are INCREDIBLE tutorials from regular users that teach other regular real users how to do stuff... as well as videos from famous people and experts disclosing tips and tricks.

• Members

It boggles my mind that people can't at least figure that much out from the manuals, and maybe you think I'm not giving the musician who bought a bunch of sound equipment enough credit, but I've seen the same questions far too many times.

You

Archived