Gibson SG Standard vs Limited?

scolfax

• Members

Can anyone help me figure out the difference between the Gibson SG Standard and the Gibson SG Standard Limited Edition?

From what I can tell the limited has a few different finishes and comes with a baked maple fretboard for the same price. Is this a common practice w/ Gibsons?

• Members

Pretty much.

Limited Edition doesn't mean anymore with Gibson that it did with Beanie Babies. It's a "collectible" meant to entice people to buy a guitar now to get a color they want. Since Gibson and Fender both spray each color in batches every few weeks/months, all they are doing is swapping out the color cans on the spray guns for their "limited" run of a non-standard color. In this case, it also allows them to make the fretboard substitution without diluting their core product. Gibson is very up front about their biggest concern being, "do you sell another guitar to a customer that already owns a SG or a LP?"

• Members

Interesting.

I don't care about it being collectible, but I would love a Standard in Aged Cherry. Rosewood fretboard would be a no-brainer for me, but I guess if I want it in that color I'll have to settle for baked maple. I don't hate it, I'm just not sold on it yet.

• Members

Interesting.

I don't care about it being collectible, but I would love a Standard in Aged Cherry. Rosewood fretboard would be a no-brainer for me, but I guess if I want it in that color I'll have to settle for baked maple. I don't hate it, I'm just not sold on it yet.

No, no...not collectible, but a collectible. The latter is manufactured with a false sense of a future second-hand market. They've already calculated out exactly how many they will sell and that's how many they will make.

• Members
  • Members

Gibson has never used baked maple fretboards before 2011. They had trouble with the law and got rosewood confiscated, so I assume these are a temporary fix until they are allowed to source more rosewood. If they are only produced for a year, they have a possibility of becoming collectible

• Members

I can't find the link on Guitar Center's website, but my local store has a couple of those SGs with coil splitters and zebra pickups. I've been playing them when I've gone in the store, and now I really want to save up for one. What were those models called?

• Members

I can't find the link on Guitar Center's website, but my local store has a couple of those SGs with coil splitters and zebra pickups. I've been playing them when I've gone in the store, and now I really want to save up for one. What were those models called?

SG Standard 60 with Coil Split or something like that.

http://www.gcplatinum.com/Guitars/view_listing.cfm?prodId=9026&subCat=51

I believe it was a model made for the European market and GC got a domestic exclusive for in-store sales.

Archived