Questions About Fender Strat 57' Reissue Made In Japan

Jimmy25

• Members

I'm planning to get a Second-Handed Fender Strat 57' Reissue Made In Japan

but I have a few questions in mind...

(please forgive me for any dumb questions asked. I'm only an intermediate player and doesn't know much about guitars..)

1) Besides it's a "reissue", what exactly is the difference between a copy of vintage Stratocaster made in modern days (reissue) and a Standard Stratocaster in terms of sound quality, playability, structure, and etc? and which one is more expensive in price?

2) Do you guys have any commentary/review on a Fender Strat 57' Reissue MIJ? could be good or bad. I did google, but would like to know more abt this model if possible?

3) This "Second-Handed Fender Strat 57' Reissue Made In Japan" model I'm buying, the seller said all the parts are original. Nothing has been changed. Should I keep the way it is or perhaps change the pickups?

4) I'm buying this model "Second-Handed Fender Strat 57' Reissue Made In Japan" in Thailand for around 22000 baht. I'm not sure if it's a reasonable price or not..?

I would really appreciate it if anyone could answer my questions. THANK YOU =D

• Moderators

Strictly speaking there are no such things as MIJ Fender Reissues. The name designation is more an indicator of style ie ST54, ST57, ST62 etc. as there are now a number of the base models with those designations all made of basswood. There are however a few "reissues" that get close, ie neck profile, body material and pickups, but you need to have your eyes wide open with MIJs as they are mostly basswod even the famed JVs, and I prefer the current CIJs as they are more traceable in terms of specs. MIJ Fenders are all over the place and only wortwhile if you can access the neck pocket and neck heel and see what stamps they have there.

Ask him for a full model and ask if the label at the base of the neck says "Made in Japan" or "Constructed in Japan" and then ask him about the heel of the neck and neck pocket stamps, if he's a gen seller he should be happy enough to let you know as much info as possible, but be aware that there are some very ordinary Japanese Fenders out there

• Members

I can't tell you about the 57 but I have a 54. It is a beautiful guitar. It is Ash, beautifully made. I would have to say that it is probably the best made guitar I have even though it cost 2/3 of the US Standard here. They may not be official re-issues but they have all the old style parts on them, bridge, tuners, 21 small frets, 7.5 radius etc. Mine says "Crafted in Japan" on it. I have a Am Std Strat, and Am Std Tele and a 339, but I often gravitate to the 54, it is so easy to play.

As the other poster said check out that it is one of the higher end models, and if it is, I don't think you will be disappointed.

• Members

Consider that the 50s re-issues, at least the older ones had really skinny 50s frets that most people don't like much.

I have a 1982 '57 Reissue, the first year of the '57 RI. It has the vintage frets, which I really don't like. It's a chore to bend strings with them.

• Members

I would need to know exactly what model of `57 it is...they made/make more than one version...lower ends generally basswood higher ends alder or ash...might even be sen wood. I`d have to know what the electronics are...full size pots and steel switch or the later small pots with plastic switch...as well as what the pick-ups look like. I`d need to see pictures of under the pick guard and photos of the neck pocket, I have/had quite a few MIJ Fenders and they all were identified by the numbers in the neck pocket...72-55 or 54-120 or 52-128 etc....makes a huge difference to me, I would pay much less for a lower end model. I also have some custom editions and one ExTrad strat...they made many many different models so knowing precisely which one it is, is important. They have by the way, gone back to using Made in Japan...so they were MIJ...to CIJ...back to MIJ...and honestly for me it doesn`t matter in which decade a FK was made but rather where it fits in the line-up because they have made low ends and high ends in every decade since the early 1980`s...none are actually referred to as reissues by the Japanese, thats a F/USA thing though people overseas just seem to want to call the MIJ`s reissues...even their very first models made were not called reissues but JV`s... Japan Vintage...and every one I have seen or have had was not basswood. If you can get more info come back and post what you find then maybe we can supply more info....or maybe not...Fender Japan is not an exact science.

• Members

I have a 1982 '57 Reissue, the first year of the '57 RI. It has the vintage frets, which I really don't like. It's a chore to bend strings with them.

I have one of those as well - it has been refretted five times and it now has medium jumbo's

Archived