Amp cabinet speaker question

blazingblake

• Members

I have a 2x12 speaker cabinet that I plug in my old ariline head into, anyway I blew one of the speakers got one of those gold labeled fender eminence speakers now its icepick trebly. What would be a good speaker to balcance out the icepick treble sound?:confused:Oh yeah I almost forgot its a cllosed back cab real large made bye emc I have no idea when it was made or anything.

• Members

Thanks for the suggestions i've had this same speaker in other amps and it didn't sound ice pick trebley could it be because its not burned I bought it used off of ebay and it looks brand new?

It could be competing with the other speaker. You need to look at SPL (sound pressure level) of both speakers and resonant frequency. If the spl of your new speaker is lower than the one in it you'll only hear the old speaker & vice versa. The two need to be within one db of each other. Resonant frequency is something most people overlook. If you have differences you can get icepick, oscillations or a number of other problems, especially if the resonant frequencies are close to each other but not exact.

• Members

The matching the frequency responce and spl is key.

The new speaker likely has a wider responce and the older speaker needed

alot more trebble because its responce was narrow. Look at the speakers specs.

if you can find the specs for your fender speaker and its hot a top end of say 6Khz,

then getting something 4 or 5K might make for a match. Its hard to guess what the original speaker

could do. All you can do is put it on a sweep generator, sweep the frequencies and see where its responce maxes out.

You can mix and match speakers and get some good combinations, but in many cases if the SPL levels arent close you're better off getting

a matched pair.

Archived