going from Fender guitars to Gibson is tough!

kadrocker

• Members

I have 2 teles with very different necks, a Strat, a Carvin, a Gretsch 5120, an Epi Explorer, 2 acoustics with different nut widths, body sizes, and neck profiles, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes, a square neck resonator, a bass guitar, and an upright doghouse bass.

I don't worry about it, I just play em.

Heck its all just a stick with strings on em, whats the problem?

• Members

I've played Strats & Teles for 30 years, but I had no problem with my ES-135. I just didn't use it, so I sold it. I demo guitars all the time at the shop and the only one that throws me a little is the SG. The neck placement just seems wrong, but no doubt I'd get used to it soon enough if I owned one.

• Members

Theres allot of variety out there. I bought a Gibson S1 way back.

It had three single coils and a maple/rosewood neck. It was half

fender and half gibson sounding and kind of played in between too.

Good crossover guitar for someone wanting a little of both.

There again theresd so many great guitars out there you can get all kinds

of in between sounds in between. A hundred times more variety from when I

first started playing. Even the el cheapos are a hundred times better than the

Ones available in the 60's. Then you either bought a cheezy piece of crap not

worth stringing up or you bought a top of the line guitar. There was no in between

with electrics. You had epis and Yamahas for acoustics but they werent all that great then either.

I always wanted to own a firebird having played many. I chose another paul instead.

Now that I'm getting older and my shoulder is beat to {censored} I may want to revisit the idea.

The 30th anniversary Paul I have is a killer guitar but for playing live its become an

11Lb cynder block on my shoulder and pinches the nerves badly.

Even sitting and recording for long periods it can shut off my leg circulation.

If the neck wasnt such a great fit for my hand I would have traded it long ago.

That and the value has increased 4X what i paid for it new since 1994. It will be

considered vintage in another two years plus only 300 were made.

• Members

its nice to have a spoon...

but some times you need a fork... or something like that..

they are totally different beast. one cuts like a scalpel one is more like a axe.. or a hatchet... you need to be comfortable with both... mho... its just another choice on the tonal pallet..

• Members

after playing fender guitars for 15 years ive gotten really used to where everything is on them. anytime i pick up a gibson scaled guitar it feels like a toy.

That's interesting as I see the fender strat as a guitar in need of upgrades although I understand why the love - they sound unique in their way but the bridge is outdated

Archived