Questions about multi FX units in general, Digitech specifically

awd83

• Members

Ok, so I have the Digitech RP255, and I really like it, but I haven't spent a lot of time with it. I know how to set up new patches and save them and everything, but can this (or any other mfx pedal) be set up to use like a stand alone?

What I want to be able to do is just use the chorus effect, or the delay, turning it off/on as I wish, without having to create a new patch with all other effects turned off. I'd like to do this because I have a good bit of song specific patches set up, and I don't want to delete them just for this function to make room for individual effects.

Thanks!

• Members

I think the RP255 only lets you scroll up and down through the patches. The RP 355 (and all other units above that) can be set to go between Bank mode and Stompbox mode. Stompbox mode lets you layer individual effects by turning them on and off with one of the footswitches.

• Members

Sounds like what you really want is one of these. I got this on ebay for $170ish INCLUDING shipping.

This lets you use each effect as an individual stomp box in manual mode. I spent a long time trying to find the right effets unit because I hate programming presets, but I could not afford all of the effects I wanted to have so I finally came up on this. Did I mention I paid about $170 w/ shipping :thu:

Oh and it's built like a freaking tank! Oh, and, each effect has it's own independent set of controls! No shared controls or assignable controls like on the Digitech.

100_1241.jpg

• Members

I think when it comes to the mult-fx, Boss has the right idea. I much prefer their approach of having a bunch of pedals housed in a single chassis with independent control knobs and on/off pedals, while still maintaining the programmable patch ability. HelloMusic had the ME-70 on sale for $250-ish a few weeks back as I recall...kinda wish I'd bit.

• Members

It does not let you mix every single effect together at once. But to be honest, who does that anyway? It's a great unit for running your effects individually one at time with independent controls. I don't see any of the Digitech multi-fx giving you independent controls for every each stomp box. Plus for $170 you can't beat it. Not to mention you never have to do any programing with the BOSS. If you're like and you just want to plug and play without having to set presets, or scroll through controls, it's the way to go. Plus it's not made out of pastic, it's a full metal enclosure. Like I said, it's built like a tank!

Archived