Does MF Intentionally Ship Sub-Par Guitars the First Time?

photon9

• Members

I've only ordered two new guitars sight-unseen from MF, but both times they had issues that warranted sending them back.

The first was a cheapie which had a neck that couldn't be adjusted. The replacement they sent was flawless. It was the exact same model.

The second one was from a company renowned for their impeccable QC. It had minor but noticeable, and totally unacceptable for the price, finish flaws at the nut and the neck joint. I'm still waiting for the replacement, again the exact same model, to come in but have high hopes it will be perfect.

Anyway I know I don't have a very large sample size but my experiences make me wonder if MF intentionally sends out sub-standard guitars the first time in hopes that the customer won't take them up on their very liberal return policy.

I have to applaud them on their return policy it's the easiest thing ever.

But it still makes me wonder when the two new guitars I've ordered I've had to send back the first one.

What are your thoughts and experiences?

• Members

Musicians Friend does not inspect the guitars they get from the manufacturer. Unless you buy a used or open box item from them, the guitar you get will be factory sealed (though they do sometimes try to pass off open box items as new, which pisses me off). If you get a guitar from MF in the factory sealed box, then there's no way to fault Musicians Friend for intentionally sending you a dud. They're just betting that what the factory sends them is acceptable without needing an inspection.

• Members

If you get a guitar from MF in the factory sealed box, then there's no way to fault Musicians Friend for intentionally sending you a dud. They're just betting that what the factory sends them is acceptable without needing an inspection.

personally, i expect more from a retailer. but that's just me.

• Members

I know many people do it, but I don't think I'd ever buy a guitar sight unseen online. Guitars are too personal and involve too much variation from one to the other (even within the exact same model). I need to play it first and give it my own examination before pulling the trigger. Most of the online retailers have decent return policies, but I don't have time to dick around with shipping something back.

I understand that for many people, it's their only option if they aren't near retailers. I feel for ya.

• Members

personally, i expect more from a retailer. but that's just me.

You don't expect Best Buy to open and test every TV, so why expect Musicians Friend to open and check every guitar. It might be reasonable to expect it from a smaller operation, but with MF, Music123, and Guitar Center having their stock in the same massive warehouses it seems unreasonable to expect them to open and inspect everything when they are the biggest retailer of guitars in the US.

Plus, having a guitar arrive from MF in the factory sealed box lets you know for certain that it wasn't a customer return that they're trying to pass off as new - which they do try to do sometimes. I've purchased a lot of guitars from MF over the years and they've definitely sent me a few that were not factory sealed. When that happens I call them, explain that they sent me a previously opened guitar rather than a completely new one, and every time they have either refunded some of my money if I wanted to keep it or they have exchanged it for another one. Knowing that you're *supposed* to get a factory sealed guitar from them is a bit of an insurance policy, in my mind.

I'm sure if they did open every guitar box they received from the manufacturer we would be here complaining that we never get anything from them that is factory sealed. :D

• Members

You don't expect Best Buy to open and test every TV, so why expect Musicians Friend to open and check every guitar. It might be reasonable to expect it from a smaller operation, but with MF, Music123, and Guitar Center having their stock in the same massive warehouses it seems unreasonable to expect them to open and inspect everything when they are the biggest retailer of guitars in the US.

Plus, having a guitar arrive from MF in the factory sealed box lets you know for certain that it wasn't a customer return that they're trying to pass off as new - which they do try to do sometimes. I've purchased a lot of guitars from MF over the years and they've definitely sent me a few that were not factory sealed. When that happens I call them, explain that they sent me a previously opened guitar rather than a completely new one, and every time they have either refunded some of my money if I wanted to keep it or they have exchanged it for another one. Knowing that you're *supposed* to get a factory sealed guitar from them is a bit of an insurance policy, in my mind.

I'm sure if they did open every guitar box they received from the manufacturer we would be here complaining that we never get anything from them that is factory sealed.
:D

i don't expect them to test every pedal or amp. or make sure my strings are actually "factory fresh". but the instrument itself has too many variables to be left to the randomness of warehouse sales. so i just don't buy from them. again, i expect more.

• Members

I know many people do it, but I don't think I'd ever buy a guitar sight unseen online. Guitars are too personal and involve too much variation from one to the other (even within the exact same model). I need to play it first and give it my own examination before pulling the trigger. Most of the online retailers have decent return policies, but I don't have time to dick around with shipping something back.

I understand that for many people, it's their only option if they aren't near retailers. I feel for ya.

I rarely buy sight unseen, however the two times I did it was a particular model or finish that I couldn't find anywhere else locally. For the second one I was expectant that given their outstanding reputation for QC and consistency I had a good chance of getting a perfect one. That didn't happen but it's by no means a knock at the manufacturer. They were minor flaws that most probably wouldn't even notice. I'm just extremely anal, and for the price I paid I expect perfection.

MFs return policy is ridiculously liberal. Both times I was the one that asked if they wanted a description of the problems. I'm sure they would have exchanged either no questions asked. And they pay for all the shipping. And they're more than happy to exchange for a completely different manufacturer or model or finish if you wanted to go that route instead of a like for like exchange. Their return policy makes it practically zero risk to buy a guitar sight unseen even though it is a little bit of hassle to have to repack and go out to UPS to return something if something is wrong with it. I would have no problem ordering from them again because of this.

It's just that it happened both times, the only two times, that I had to return them that it made me curious if maybe that's a sneaky thing they try to do.

But it looks like I was just a little unlucky. It happens.

• Members

MFs return policy is ridiculously liberal. Both times I was the one that asked if they wanted a description of the problems. I'm sure they would have exchanged either no questions asked. And they pay for all the shipping. And they're more than happy to exchange for a completely different manufacturer or model or finish if you wanted to go that route instead of a like for like exchange. Their return policy makes it practically zero risk to buy a guitar sight unseen even though it is a little bit of hassle to have to repack and go out to UPS to return something if something is wrong with it. I would have no problem ordering from them again because of this.

WOW!! So if there are problems with your guitar THEY pay to have it shipped back and exchanged? I personally would rather take my chances on a factory sealed guitar then one thats been played (and potentially messed up) by countless people in a shop! But maybe I'm wrong?

Archived