Duncan Distortion + Alnico II Pro in a Les Paul?

Wizard of Ozz

• Members

I did pretty much a close match - a Creme Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge and a Duncan SH-2 in the neck / only reason being they didn't have a PAF Pro and so I took the Duncan.

Glad I did too. The Super D is hot but roll off the volume a touch and it cleans up very nicely. Paired with the SH-2 they were literally a mutt match made in heaven.

They sang well together. I ended up selling that guitar but wish I hadn't. I still miss it.

Here it is:

100_1509.jpg

100_1514.jpg

• Members

Although the alnico II pro is a great pickup, I wouldn't call it bright and cutting. Have you thought about a pearly gates in the neck? I think it would suit your needs better. I've seen them go for under 60 on ebay quite often.

Yep... the Pearly Gates sounds like a definite option. I liked the sound clips I've heard so far. Thanks.

• Members

I did pretty much a close match - a Creme Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge and a Duncan SH-2 in the neck / only reason being they didn't have a PAF Pro and so I took the Duncan.

Glad I did too. The Super D is hot but roll off the volume a touch and it cleans up very nicely. Paired with the SH-2 they were literally a mutt match made in heaven.

They sang well together. I ended up selling that guitar but wish I hadn't. I still miss it.

Any issues with the output differential between them? It seems like you really liked that combo.. and I'm shooting for something really similar.

• Members

Any issues with the output differential between them? It seems like you really liked that combo.. and I'm shooting for something really similar.

Not a bit. You'd never know they weren't calibrated to match.

I'd do itall over again.

I even added push-pull pots.

That super D split like a hot texas special (hot overwound strat)

• Members

Just so you'll know the SH-2 is a bit hot. I did have it pushed down to the ring height and that took care of it.

Cool. That's what I like... hot, bitting, cutting. Not the warm, blanket-over-the-speaker, dark, mushy sound you sometimes get from PAF-ish neck pups. Sounds like the SH-2 is what I need.

Archived