New Blackstar Day!!!!

elsupermanny14

• Members
as for the 5 watt comments on why have one?

ive always felt from personal experience that a 5 watt tube amp going trough a 12" can be heard and cut trough just about any band situation
:idk:

its always worked for me.....

Not working for me. I have the 5 watt combo (1 x 12). Although I love this amp and with the help of a Boss GE-7 EQ and a digital delay in the loop plus an Xotic EP Booster up front I get a very useable and inspiring bedroom level tones. But up againt a drummer this little beast on it's own does not cut. I was at a jam just last week, moderate volumes. The Blackstar on it's own, dimed, sounded impressive. As soon as the drummer kicked in, I was lost big time in the mix. I do like BK Star, I'm thinking of getting either a 40 or 60 now.

• Members

I've been seriously impressed with the HT-1s I've tried out. The combo and the head through the 4x8 cab they have and through a 1x12 both sounded mean as heck. Just about the perfect saturation for the type of tone I like at a relatively calm volume. I'd imagine with a tube screamer up front it'd be the perfect bedroom br00tz machine. And the clean tones are shockingly nice too.

Congrats. Wonderful amp that's definitely on my radar for the coming year.

• Members

Don't buy the combo amps. I've had a HT-5 combo for a couple of years; I've never been fully satisfied with the tones I've been getting from it, even with EQ in the loop. But a couple a days back I separated the amp component from the cabinet. A big difference was heard - way better sound: no more boxiness, no more mud, more clarity and more bottom end.
The combos have a poor design - cab too shallow with the vertical amp component taking up the speaker's air, and the power tube is too close to the speaker magnet.
Why didn't I buy the head and cab?:facepalm:

But anyway, HNAD to ya elsupermanny14. Rock on :rawk:

• Members

I myself fell prey to the Zvex Nano when I moved to an apartment in Texas. Sold a JCM900, thought my on-stage days were done. Nano looked very cool, hoped 1/2 would be small enough to...if not crank, at least push in the apartment. Blame the jazz cigarettes, but I would get volume-polite paranoid, and never even cranked the Nano much.

Dang amp is correctly pegged as being in a "volume no man's land". Can't at least hang with a conscientious drummer, screws with a conscientious stoner's sense of volume valor.

Now that I have a gig-volume worthy amp, I definitely want one of those HT-1's or HT-5's and a 1X12.

• Members
Don't buy the combo amps. I've had a HT-5 combo for a couple of years; I've never been fully satisfied with the tones I've been getting from it, even with EQ in the loop. But a couple a days back I separated the amp component from the cabinet. A big difference was heard - way better sound: no more boxiness, no more mud, more clarity and more bottom end.

The combos have a poor design - cab too shallow with the vertical amp component taking up the speaker's air, and the power tube is too close to the speaker magnet.

Why didn't I buy the head and cab?
:facepalm:

Again, I disagree (IMO), the beauty of these little amps is grab and play, perfect for an open mic, jam at someones house, low volume rehearsal, studio recording, etc. I also have a Marshall JVM410 combo. I feel if I want to use an extension cab I can, but if I'm on a small stage I'll just use the combo. In the case of the Blackstar, I have the 5 watt (1x12). I don't rhink it sounds boxy. You want to hear boxy, the 3 Mesa combo's I have, Nomad, F-50 and MKIV sounded boxy & nasal (again IMO). The newer (1 x 12) 5 watt screams when it's dimed and is a great little practice amp for lower volume. It's very inspiring, I use a little delay in the loop with a touch of reverb, opens things up nicely.

Archived