Best guitar with p90(s) under $400 . . .

Legal Fingers

• Members

It's a great question that I've spent a lot of time considering. My main guitar is an Explorer, just a big chunk of mahogany, and I love it. I'll take mahogany over just about anything, but to be fair, I've never sat down with many other woods. I've owned cheaper guitar and that's how I know stuff like basswood and agathis isn't really want I'm looking for. There aren't any real defining sonic qualities to the wood. It just sort of feels dead. Played an ash Tele once that I loved, and I think I like alder, but it's a very hard wood, which I'm not sure would necessarily be the best for the rock/punk I play. I'd like to do some poppier rock or country rock stuff someday, but that's a brideg I'd cross when I got there. (And it'd give me an excuse to buy another guitar at that point, too.)

There are good and bad examples of wood from ANY species...yeah even less expensive and boring looking species. Some of my most alive "feeling" guitars are basswood. By "feeling" I mean you can feel the guitar vibrating against your body when you play. I probably should also point out that some of the best players and luthiers in the world prefer basswood for solid bodied guitars.

And lastly, since when does tone snobbery have any place in punk rock? :poke: ;)

• Members

Well, thanks to a Musicians friend sell and a 15% off coupon I scored an Epi 56 Tribute with hard case for $250 so I'm going o have to go wit that as the best P90 under $400

Epi56LP04.jpg

Normal price is right at $399 and it's well worth that IMO.

That's a good deal!

• Members

There are good and bad examples of wood from ANY species...yeah even less expensive and boring looking species. Some of my most alive "feeling" guitars are basswood. By "feeling" I mean you can feel the guitar vibrating against your body when you play. I probably should also point out that some of the best players and luthiers in the world prefer basswood for solid bodied guitars.

And lastly, since when does tone snobbery have any place in punk rock? :poke:
;)

Fair enough. It's not for me, though.

The music's punk . . . I'm not!

Archived