Upgrading my gear

Neehan

• Members

I'm about to get out of school and enter into the world of being a professional musician. Something I've also been doing while in school. I currently play an Ibanez Artcore AS-73 (I think its the 73 anyway) through a ZT Club amp. I'm looking to upgrade my gear to higher end more professional quality stuff. Right now I'm playing a $500 guitar through a $500 amp; so I want to upgrade to a ~$1500 guitar through a similar priced amp. I'm thinking Vox AC-15 for the amp (I need something light due to serious back problems), but don't really know where to go with the guitar due to the overwhelming number of options out there.

I'm looking for a guitar that I can play for jazz gigs and in my rock band. I've got a Mexi strat that I love, and have considered upgrading to an American. I would prefer a slightly shorter scale neck like on a gibson. I've thought about Heritage guitars, but they might be a litter over my price range. I really want a guitar that can speak well in any register. As I find my guitars now to be a little weak in the upper registers. I've got a lot of gear collecting dust that I'm going to trade in to make this upgrade possible. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks. :thu:

• Members

Being pro has less to do with your equipment and more to do with you.

As a pro you will likely have the opportunity to play a vast amount of differing equipment and figure out what works for you. So the smart, though admittedly boring, thing to do is to wait until you have the experience to know exactly what you want, and not waste $2K on equipment that might not be right for you.

Trust me as a rookie professional musician you most likely are going to need it for other things, like eating and rent.

• Members

Trust me as a rookie professional musician you most likely are going to need it for other things, like eating and rent.

Lol well said. I do teach enough private lessons to avoid going hungry, but not much else. Perhaps you could just point in a direction of where to start looking. Thanks for the reply.

• Members

If you like your current Ibanez, you could maybe look into some of their higher end MIJ options such as a GB or a JSM.

I'll say what I always say when asked for a lightweight amp recommendation - go solid state. If you don't mind using pedals for dirt there are many, many back saving options out there.

• Members

Buy used to stretch your dollar.

There are a lot of off-brand, high quality guitars. Hamer, G&L, you already mentioned Heritage. I think if I were you (playing jazz and rock, bad back), I'd check out a used Hamer Artist Korina.

For an amp, look at some used boutique options. If you like a Deluxe Reverb, but not the weight, research who makes a clone in a separate head/cab configuration or maybe they make one with a lighter material. I think pine cabs tend to be lighter than birch, or MDF. Maybe check in with the TGP amps crowd. The Peavey Classic 30 seems to be the end-all-be-all of amps around here.

Archived