Godin discontinues some Performance Series guitars...

squinty_lefty

• Members

I happened to be visiting the Godin website last week and noticed that the Exit 22, SD, and LG Hmb/P-90 had all gone missing from the "Performance Series" page:

http://www.godinguitars.com/godinperfseriesp.htm

So I emailed Godin Customer Service and they confirmed that, yes, they had been discontinued.

I guess Godin might be "mainstreaming" their Performance Series lineup to invite more direct comparisons to the Fender lineup...but it's a shame that it doesn't look like they'll continue making 24.75 in. scale HSS guitars or Mahogany-bodied guitars in the Performance Series lineup.

• Members

I happened to be visiting the Godin website last week and noticed that the Exit 22, SD, and LG Hmb/P-90 had all gone missing from the "Performance Series" page:

So I emailed Godin Customer Service and they confirmed that, yes, they had been discontinued.

I guess Godin might be "mainstreaming" their Performance Series lineup to invite more direct comparisons to the Fender lineup...but it's a shame that it doesn't look like they'll continue making 24.75 in. scale HSS guitars or Mahogany-bodied guitars in the Performance Series lineup.

looks like they're cutting poor sellers and making room for the Core line and some of the other expansions like the Richmond line.

• Members

I think it is that they are trying to cut out some of their lower priced models so they can have models with

a higher price point. I have noticed every time Godin introduces a new model, it is several hundred dollars

higher than the models that have been around for a while.

• Members

I think it is that they are trying to cut out some of their lower priced models so they can have models with

a higher price point. I have noticed every time Godin introduces a new model, it is several hundred dollars

higher than the models that have been around for a while.

Well, the Cores aren't more expensive than the discontinued LGs - despite being set neck guitars vs. the bolt ons that the LGs were.

But, yes, the Session would see to be their "entry-level" model now and exists in several configurations - presumably in an effort to compete head-on with Fender's MIM guitars.

• Members

If there's a critique that can be made of Godin, it's that they haven't had their equivalent of a Strat or Les Paul, a design that has stayed in their lineup consistently.

I think they've always had them (though maybe not an obvious SSS Strat-type guitar until Progression was introduced in 2010) - the trouble being locating them in their labyrinthian product line up.

IMO, Godin's biggest problem is that they seem to have an extremely large number of product lines and brands for a company that isn't all that well known for electrics outside of Canada. It is a deceptively-large company...just not particularly well known in many major markets.

In most cases it seems like their dealers in the NE USA only stock Godin guitars that are fairly unique (i.e. don't have much competition) - like their Multiacs, Solidacs...and, occasionally, you might see a Radiator a Synth-access model. It sort of makes me think the dealers don't have much faith in their ability to move Godin products that have more direct competition from Ibanez, Fender, Gibson, or the other major makes.

• Members

They are just making room for some of newer models would be my guess! The sessions are really great guitars for the performance line and now they are going to be putting out a really sweet tele version. These older models that they are dis continuing can be found used for a steal all day long.

• Members

I meant to start a thread about this a couple of weeks ago when I noticed the change to the Performance on the Web site. I'm kind of bummed given that I wanted to the SD with a maple board and one of the veneer tops.

I agree that part of it's a mainstreaming effort. The Passion Series was the start of their return to offering a more traditional Fender style offset double cutaway. That concept was brought down to more affordable options int he Progression and Session series and now the Session Custom has them revisiting a Fender single cut design. The Icon Series is really a set-neck 24 3/4" scale take on the Signature Series, being more Gibson-esque. The Core series continues the evolution as they are basically set-neck versions of the mahogany bolt-on 24 3/4" scale guitars. Once Godin figured out a solid body set-neck technique that they liked with the Icon series got the ball rolling.

They're still great guitars and the prices are still very good for what you get. It seems that what you get is improving as well. The local shop has a Core with the two HBs and is seems pretty sweet. I do think the originality/uniqueness is diminishing, but I'd guess that HIaR is also right about the sales of "traditional" Godin designs and this revamp is probably going to help the company grow.

As for a bolt-on 24 3/4: guitar the Richmond Empire is where you can find that now and it's supposed to be a killer guitar...I know I want of those as well.

Godin is the center of all my gas right now. This, however, has been the case for the bette part of the last decade plus.

Archived