Post your EQ pedal settings!

AlexMC

• Members

I've got a Boss EQ-20 pedal in the FX loop of my amp and usually use it to add some crispness to my top-end (6.4/12.8kHz bands) whilst sucking out a little some of the low mids (400/800Hz bands). I don't have bother with saving presets but pretty much leave it set like this all the time.

What settings do you use and for which tones?

• Members

I do the same (EQ in the loop), but without knowing the type of amp you're using and the baseline frequency response, it's tough to compare settings. For example, I'm using a solid state FRFR amp, so the settings would be meaningless to someone with a tube amp designed specifically to enhance particular spectra of the guitar with its tone controls, prior to adding any EQ.

• Members

I'll be honest... I don't really take notice of my EQ settings... I just play with them until I get a sound I like :rolleyes:

But generally, highs don't change by much, depending on rhythm or lead. For rhythm, I like quite a crispy tone. For lead, it's more about mids and lows for me. Nothing too sharp.

• Members

Posting any EQ settings is an act of futility.

You would have to assume every other factor including the amp, speakers, guitar, music genre, pickups,

other pedals used, gain settings, room acoustics or any of another 50 or more variables would be the same making those EQ settings

work the same. Then on top of that you still have the factor of getting the guitar rig to blend into a recording or a

band of other musicians so it sits in the mix and can be heard well and the other players heard well also.

The best you might be able to do is use a mic and pass the mic through a Frequency analizer and

graph out the tone a guitar produces for all the notes on the neck. Then use an EQ on another rig

and adjust the EQ till the responce is simular. Simular is the key word here. You cant get an exact match

because every setup is unique. Even two guitar heads, two speakers, and two guitars of the same type will

have unique qualities requiring different settings for a close match. And since noones playing techniques are

the same, and even the same player my use different playing techniques day by day, any set formula of

EQing is a fail. the best you can do is generalize.

If I were going to play a certain type of music I'd know what frequencies I might push up to mimick that tone.

An when recording, it can be completely different than live.

• Members

Posting any EQ settings is an act of futility.

You would have to assume every other factor including the amp, speakers, guitar, music genre, pickups,

other pedals used, gain settings, room acoustics or any of another 50 or more variables would be the same making those EQ settings

work the same. Then on top of that you still have the factor of getting the guitar rig to blend into a recording or a

band of other musicians so it sits in the mix and can be heard well and the other players heard well also.

The best you might be able to do is use a mic and pass the mic through a Frequency analizer and

graph out the tone a guitar produces for all the notes on the neck. Then use an EQ on another rig

and adjust the EQ till the responce is simular. Simular is the key word here. You cant get an exact match

because every setup is unique. Even two guitar heads, two speakers, and two guitars of the same type will

have unique qualities requiring different settings for a close match. And since noones playing techniques are

the same, and even the same player my use different playing techniques day by day, any set formula of

EQing is a fail. the best you can do is generalize.

If I were going to play a certain type of music I'd know what frequencies I might push up to mimick that tone.

An when recording, it can be completely different than live.

What I was looking for was a 'how do use yours?' type answer, rather than specific boost/cut settings for each frequency band:

I use it to suck out some mids and add treble/presence, and it's left on most of the time.

• Members

pedalboard2.jpg

That's my MXR 10-band in the loop. Fed from the speaker emulated output of a Blackstar HT-Stage 60. Weird settings, but it's what we agreed cleaned the emulated output up the best. The EQ stays on for clean, overdrive 1, and overdrive 2.

EDIT: The whole furman thing on the top is gone, replaced by two Voodoo Lab ISO-5's and a ghetto homemade plastic patch box. With the Furman hum of death crap out of there and the AC wall warts replaced by the ISO-5's, I returned the ISP decimator.

• Members

What I was looking for was a 'how do use yours?' type answer, rather than specific boost/cut settings for each frequency band:

I use it to suck out some mids and add treble/presence, and it's left on most of the time.

Understand.

I quit using EQs in my chain quite awhile ago.

I bought better amps, guitars and pedals that didnt require any additional EQing.

A Recomended method is to use 2 EQ's. One before your gain boxes, and one after to shape the sound.

I used to do all that stuff and sculpt the sound. It got to be too much of a pain in the ass. I eventually

tried out enough pedals to find ones that didnt need any extra tweaking for my sound.

I may use 4~5 different gain boxes that all have their own tone so I can get different tones playing.

I use two different guitar amps too which have their built in EQ's set differently.

I'm able to get all the tone adjustments I need from the Heads EQ's.

I also matched speakers to the heads. My marshall obviously sounds best

with the celestion loadses 1960 cab. I may use a Music Man or Fender tube head

for the other matched with a 4X10" open backed cab with alnico Jensons.

Winds up being a killer combination for tone and I can balance between the two

cabs volumes to shift my tone.

This wasnt always the case.

I've used buttloads of suck assed amps with lousey speakers or heads. I know all the tricks and tried everything from

EQ's to rack units in the effects loop and it only has limited improvement for sound and often makes an amp sound worse.

I used to do it with my bass amp too. I got a Crate bass head which isnt too hot. Its got 200W but its EQe'd for their cabinet

speaker combination. I bought all used cabs and stuff so Its a mix match. I found using a limiter in the effects loop works the best.

I have a 10 band MXR EQ I've had since the 70's and it does the trick EQing but it honestly doesnt work better than the built in EQ.

Archived