Maple topped strat - what do they sound like?

Faber

• Members

I see a lot of (super) strats with either mahogany/maple or alder/maple bodies. Don't have any hands on experience with them though. How if at all do these sound different from a regular alder or ash strat? Is there a common tonal characteristic to strat syles with either combination of woods?

• Members

The typical laminate-top/"drop-top" Strat uses a 1/8" top or an even thinner veneer.

At 1/8", it really doesn't impart any significant tonal impact, it's cosmetic...chances are the glue has a bigger influence as a dampener. So, if you have opinion about, or favor, a particular tone wood (and I do), buy the body wood you want and the top you like the looks of.

Ultimately, a guitar sounds as it does, don't sweat the details.

• Members

The typical laminate-top/"drop-top" Strat uses a 1/8" top or an even thinner veneer.

At 1/8", it really doesn't impart any significant tonal impact, it's cosmetic...chances are the glue has a bigger influence as a dampener. So, if you have opinion about, or favor, a particular tone wood (and I do), buy the body wood you want and the top you like the looks of.

Ultimately, a guitar sounds as it does, don't sweat the details.

This makes sense - especially the last sentence ;)

Archived