Tube amp with nice warm cleans for pedal-provided dirt?

brandass

• Members

Honestly idont get the ac30 recs. Theyre good classic amps but way overkill for what he needs,considering how ear bleedingly loud an ac30 can get. In my honest opion your best choices are probably the Kustom defender 15, Crate Palominos or the Brugera. Theyre all gonna give you a way warmer tone than Blackstars, Laneys or Voxs will. The BlackHearts are great little amps but i feel for the cash the Kustom sounds better and you dont have to deal with low end poop eminence speakers. Marshall class 5 is great too but again for the $ id go Kustom. Its essentialy a Pro JR. With a slightly warmer sound, the abilitY to switch between 5 and 15 watts, different bass voice settings and its 100$ cheaper.

Just one comment about what you said..... if you think the C30 is overkill for what he wants, the Palomino, at least the 30 watt one, will be even more overkill. My palomino is WAY louder than my C30 was even though it's the same rated wattage. It is actually too loud for most of my gigs and at most venues we play, I can never get the volume past 1 before the bar owner starts bitching. There's a 15 watt palomino that might be better for him.

But I still think the Bugera V22 will be the perfect amp for him. It's a lot warmer than the Palomino.

::edit:: oops....you said ac30 not c30. Serves me right posting here on three hours sleep after a gig.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The 15 watt palomino is what i was referring. Thats usually the one people refer to when they mention em. But yeah he definitely doesnt need more than 20 watt amp for what hes looking for. 30 will be overkill considering most 30 Watters are super loud. {censored} the AC30 is easily one of the absolute loudest amps ive ever played. If had people with stack struggle to out do that thing in the mix

• Members

Do appreciate that you guys are factoring in "warm" when making suggestions. As nice as a crisp attack can be, it seems to bring out the harshness in many of my OD/distortion pedals. That's a major reason I'm leaning hard toward tube rather than SS - on their own, SS cleans can be outstanding, but tube cleans have been a better match for my array of pedals. So warmish tube is high priority in this case, I think.

Also glad you mentioned background hiss, as a home (and usually bedroom) amp it's not going to play cranked often, so hiss can be a real drag. There's always some, of course, and sometimes the trade-off (more hiss but more tonz) is worth it, but if I can get more tonz with less hiss... win!

Got my homework cut out for me here - thanks for the roadmap!

Ahh...I see. In that case I HIGHLY recommend the Marshall Class 5 head with a small 112 or 110 closed back cab (do some soul searching as options are limitless here, but Egnater and Orange are great to start with).

For what you want, including front mounted controls and value for the buck, the Marshall Class 5 head cannot be beat. It it amazing for what it is.

As far as small combos, I hear great things about the Bugera (V5?) vintage. Also hunt down a Carvin Belair tweed clone, as it also has front monted controls and is a bargain.

• Members

Laney Lionheart L5T-112

It is built for pedals: The tone is warm, if not dark, but nowhere near mud. This allows pedals to crank up and keep headroom. However, it's only 5 watts so achieving power amp distortion is simple. Besides those features it's handmade in Great Britain, has a Celestion G 112 H and birch cab. It's my go-to recording amp.

If purchased new they are over budget, but I got mine used for $500 in mint condition.

P4140019.jpg

P4140044.jpg

P4140032.jpg

Archived