Any Love For Mick Mars

savman1

• Members

I am a Motley Crue fan, and Mick Mars makes some unique sounds to me. I don't hear too many people playing the Dr. Feelgood solo or others with his same sound he has. Where does he rank against Slash, Lynch, Wylde, Kirk, etc?

:idk: where he ranks per-say....but Mars is def' a Rock N' Roller of a guitar player. I like his stuff.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In the '80s I was totally into the hair metal thing and the Crue were my fav during their Shout/Theater era. I liked their riffs but really never thought much of Mars as a guitarist. His solos always struck me as sloppy - and not in a musical Neil Young kind of way. I far prefer Warren DeMartini from RATT - now there's an under-rated guitarist from that era...

• Members

I was a huge Crue fan. I even read Nikki Sixx's book, the Heroine Diaries. I think Mick is a good player and doesn't get near enough credit. Of all the people who have been on Guitar World, I don't think he has ever had a cover. He has an original style. His solo in Home Sweet Home is one of the songs that made me want to play guitar.

• Members

Mick Mars maybe kind of a geek and weirdo to some but he's had a hell of a career touring and making albums with his ankylosis spondylitis I think that how it's spelled a cripplinng degenerative disease. He Rocks and will i'm sure till he can't any more. He's the right player for the Crue you didn't see them get anybody else did you? And he does have a ballsy fat ass tone.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

Mick has a great tone, and a cool detached vibe. Forget him being overshadowed by other guitar players of the era, he was overshadowed by his own bands insanity of the time. Vince's car wreck, Nikki's OD, Tommy banging Heather Locklear/ Pam Anderson. Seriously, what's the guy going to do to get recognized over this other stuff. A LOT of Crue's fame came from the headlines and tabloids and XXX movies, but the music was and is awesome. It wouldn't be that good without Mick.

Archived