Tuned down metal - Guitar Recommendations

samzadgan

• Members

So i want a guitar that i will use it for down tuned (C tuning) metal. Ill be swapping pickups out most likely, and also will have to get some work done on the nut to cater for the 60+ gauge string!. The specs i need are:

- Solid Mahogany Body

- Mahogany Neck

- Set neck, or neck through

- Scale length 25" or higher (which ill need due to the tuning?)

- No Superstrats!

I'm not greatly fussed about pickups, as i will change these out to something like Crunch Lab, or Pearly Gates...i want passive pickups at the end of the day. I already have an EMG equipped guitar and one is enough!

I just want a good size guitar, with good chunky wood

• Members

SG! Being a righty(?) you can get a decent second hand Gibson or pick up a Tokai. Load it with Bare Knuckle nailbombs or warpigs

But an SG scale is too short for that kind of tuning right? I have heard more than once that you need longer scale guitars for down tuning, to maintain the tension and quality of the tone...am i wrong???

• Members

But an SG scale is too short for that kind of tuning right? I have heard more than once that you need longer scale guitars for down tuning, to maintain the tension and quality of the tone...am i wrong???

Depends on the indervidual guitar, I've never had problems. SG's in B. Let us not forget Iommi uses downtuned SG's.

• Members

I wouldn't say need. IME, 24 3/4 is fine as long as the gauge/setup is right. I'm using my LP w/ 10-52's for drop C with my band.

• Members

Gibson scale guitars are fine for downtuning. Use a thicker string gauge and you'll keep the tension.

For the price range you mentioned I'd recommend Schecter. Les Paul style woods: mahogony, rosewood, maple cap, 25 1/2" scale, 24 frets, set neck....

The C1s usually come with either EMGs, real Duncans, or {censored}ty Duncan Designed p'ups. If you're changing the pickups anyways I suppsoe that doesn't matter.

The necks are nice and chunky. Which I prefer. Not slim like Ibanez and Jackson shred necks.

I got mine for under 3 bills.

Archived