My hollowbody design..

RaVenCAD

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I believe Paul Reed Smith swears by having that extra mass. It has more to do with tone than structural integrity.
:idk:
Same goes for fat necks which many player prefer tonally.

Yeah, so I was just poking around on the PRS forums. Apparently they moved to the bigger heel to reduce dead spots and improve tone in the upper portion of the neck. Its not a structural thing. So Raven, the thing you will probably need to figure out- is it the total amount of mass in the neck that matters, or where that mass is placed? If it's the placement that matters, the combination of no heel and the neck meeting the body fairly high up the board might be something to watch out for tonally.

• Members

I'm not overly stressed about it. My Carvin DC127 has a similar construction (all neck, right up to the body, no extra "tone chunks") and it does a fine job. Besides, having mass near the 24th fret on this neck is NOT a problem at all. Trust me on that.. You just can't see it =)

Besides, I'm not convinced the PRS chunk isn't structural. Marketing pukes will spin things whatever way they need to make the lemmings line up.

• Members

I'm not overly stressed about it. My Carvin DC127 has a similar construction (all neck, right up to the body, no extra "tone chunks") and it does a fine job. Besides, having mass near the 24th fret on this neck is NOT a problem at all. Trust me on that.. You just can't see it =)

Besides, I'm not convinced the PRS chunk isn't structural. Marketing pukes will spin things whatever way they need to make the lemmings line up.

of course it's structural. if it "removes dead spots" then it's structural. without it, the guitar would play like {censored}.

fortunately i don't have this problem on my CU24. the dead spots only appeared when they moved the neck placement back to accommodate 22 frets.

• Members

FWIW, I use the EBMM headstock on my custom builds these days. exact copies. thing is, i don't sell custom guitars anymore. Only make them for myself, so the legality behind it means nothing to me.

IMG_0177.jpg

• Members

Maybe, but I like the visual. Right now I'm thinking either a bench grinder or a Dremel.

you don't need to put that much "oooomph" into it. A triangle file, some artistic ability, the knowledge to know when to stop and some micromesh is all you need. :)

• Members

My nightly update..

Got a lot done, and I think I have the right theme for the f-holes finally. The name of this guitar is The Willow, which is my daughter's favorite tree, so I went with willow fronds. Fits the organic/woody vibe I'm going for. Still need to shape them, but I kind of dig it.. The neck joint is a LOT more stable now and looks the best it has so far. It's got a ripple that I might need to work out, but I'm not sure yet. I'll know tomorrow morning when the print comes out. Can't wait to see that. I have a simple bridge on it, mostly to fill the space. I don't dig it much yet. Probably get it fleshed out this weekend.

Anywho, on with the pron!

Reboot3-Front1.jpg

Reboot3-back.jpg

Reboot3-TopDown.jpg

Reboot3-NeckJoint.jpg

• Members

Love it. I do a lot of 3D motion graphics for my job, but nothing as precise as what you are doing. looks great

Thanks =)

I used to used 3D Studio Max to do construction/remediation site movies for an environmental company. No one knows this, but I put a model of my old boss inside of a cement mixer once.. He loved when the mixer poured out its load, but after the camera moved away, I made the cement turn red and a little head fell out.. It was all off-camera, but I knew it was there.. Yeah, I'm a horrible person heheheh

Archived