My hollowbody design..

RaVenCAD

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Pretty cool. So will you actually be building it/finishing it as well?

Also, I notice you mention it's a hollowbody...but based on the rendering there are pickup cavities going into what appears to be solid wood, so it's really some sort of semi with center block?

• Members

Pretty cool. So will you actually be building it/finishing it as well?

Also, I notice you mention it's a hollowbody...but based on the rendering there are pickup cavities going into what appears to be solid wood, so it's really some sort of semi with center block?

A friend of mine has a device called a Carvewright, which is essentially a CNC wood router. It will take the files directly from my 3D modeling package and cut them out of wood. He says it does a fantastic job, and based on what I've seen, I believe him.

The finish is going to be a simple oil finish. The renders are glossy, but the finished product is going to be very organic. If a treehuggers hugs this guitar, I want them to feel right at home. So that moon cutout everyone hates might turn into a leaf or something. That said, I did rendering with a metallic candy apple red and it's friggin badass... heheheh

There are pickup cavities, and they are indeed going into the wood, but there is no centerblock. They're pockets, depressed into the top. The only place the top touches the back is on the edges. There is a built up mass for the neck joint, but that doesn't touch either.

btw, the overall weight of the guitar currently: 2.97lbs.. That obviously doesn't include electronics, the bridge, strings, screws, washers, threaded inserts, strap buttons, or tuners. But I'm super excited about a 5lb guitar..

It's going to use a few of these:

20071212103920.jpg

And some of these inserts:

threaded%20insert%2067%20torx.jpg

This ain't yer daddy's guitar...

• Members

There's even a pick holder in the bottom bout!

j/k - looks great!

Well, there actually is a pick holder on the top. That was my daughter's idea, and I kind of like it. There is a little boss on the inside and a slot cut to allow you to stick a pick in it. That probably wouldn't make it to a retail version if such a thing ever did happen, but it'll be in mine because it was her contribution to the design of daddy's guitar.

Oh and add a jackplate to the list of things I've got to design. I was going to use a standard strat jack turned upside down to angle the cord around the strap button, but the side of the guitar isn't flat enough to make that work. So I'm going to carve a hole there and do my own jack design. In the future, I can foresee this having dual outputs for magnetics and a piezo, so being able to replace the jack will be a good thing. I plan to connect the electronics mounted to the top with the electronics mounted to the back with one of these:

deans_plug_2.jpg

Something from back in my RC racing days.. Electronically, the plugs almost don't exist. They have lower resistance than most unbroken wire, so they won't change the sound or anything. That'll make it much easier to swap the tops. They make a micro version which will be perfect for swapping pickups. It's a 4 conductor, so it's a natural fit on a humbucker.

• Members

I like the moon cutout. Looks cool, and I like that it's so glossy. Either way I'm sure it will be sweet man!
:D

Too funny, cuz I'm definitely not doing a gloss finish and I'm considering changing the moon to something less moon-like.. I've modified the neck joint, again, and there is a lot less beef protruding from the body.

• Members

RaVenCAD,

Nice design! (A little too flat for my liking
;)
)

Just curious, are you going to CNC it yourself, or?

AW5-.jpg

Thanks,

JeffKos (aka JohnnyGuit)

KOZM Guitars

It's actually not flat.. The top resembles a Brian Moore, which has a curved top. It's not nearly as voluptuous as your designs, but it's not flat either. The cutting will be done by a buddy at work. Hopefully I won't exceed the capabilities of his Carvewright..

• Members

Does anyone have an idea what a neck sized slab of rosewood would cost?

Boy I wish I would have read that a month ago. My dad just cut up a nice chunk of cocobolo that would have made a neck. Its amazing looking with nice tight grain.

• Members

Sweet link, thanks! =)

oh and scratch the body shape I posted lastnight.. Total reboot (well, 60% probably) of the shape coming soon.
:facepalm:

What, why? I loved that design and would have been a very likely customer had it turned out good :(

Archived