Ever heard of this happening?

hazard29

• Members

I took the back cavity plate off of my guitar a few weeks ago to get at the screws. I left the plate off for about 3 weeks. Today when I went to put the plate back on, it didn't fit. It was acting like it was a little too big for where it mounts on the back of the guitar.

Did the wood or paint shrink on the guitar or something? Has this ever happened to anyone else? I am clueless here.

• Members

a lot of times its a pretty snug fit. on my G&L, i have just gotten rid of the screws that hold it in because it just "snaps" into place. its just plastic, give it a bit of hell and it'll fit.

p.s. make sure you're putting it in the right way facing up. that could have something to do with it

• Members

I have it going back in the original way. I just found it very strange that it used to fit perfect, then I took it off for a few weeks and now I am gonna have to sand the sides down to make it fit again. Clearly, something changed somewhere during the past 3 weeks. I know plastic doesn't expand so I would have to assume the wood or paint shrunk a little with the warm weather.

• Members

well where do you live? has it recently gotten warmer? but i wouldnt worry too much about it. most people throw those things away anyways. I have no idea where one of them is for one of my guitars :lol:

• Members
well where do you live? has it recently gotten warmer? but i wouldnt worry too much about it. most people throw those things away anyways. I have no idea where one of them is for one of my guitars
:lol:

Las Vegas - it has recently gotten pretty warm here so that must have something to do with it. Although I have never seen this happen with any of my other guitars and I have been in Vegas for about 10 years.

• Members

Yes wood moves that much. My frigging cvs neck just back bowed. Welcome to spring. I also have a wood object a piece won't go back into but it's glass so sanding will ugly it.

My wood moves when I go to the HCAF butt thread:lol:

SRS, plastic does expand and contract. Something got caught in the expansion/conteraction cycle that temp changes cause. Sand the cover enough to fit and it should be good for the duration.

• Members

I had that happen recently on a bass that has a solid wood body and a laminate cavity cover. The day I got it the cavity cover was snug, but came off easily. Two weeks later I had to use a screwdriver to pry it out. Trimmed 1/16th of an inch off with a utility knife and it fits perfectly.

Archived