2012 G&L "Special Collection"

Kuz929

• Members

Yeah, my understanding is that they outsource finishing for the few guitars that they do make with nitro coats.

I'm not sure what I think about it all. If you want a guitar with classic Fender features then it's a Fender you want. G&L has it's own thing going on so all this stuff about nitro finished, Alnico pickups in ASATs and the like seems like they're diluting their identity, just a little.

I don't think it's an issue. It's not like they've stopped making their more unique/modern models like Comanche, ASAT Special, etc. They've just expanded their offerings to fit more player preferences (like mine). In my view, G&L makes a very high quality guitar at an attractive price point, particularly as you can get them quasi-custom made to order. There are a bunch of features of their guitars that I like (more modern fret sizes and neck radii, the hardware, PTB tone controls), but some I personally don't care for (MFD pickups, poly finish). This adds something to their line that fits me better. Everybody wins when there's more choice.

Plus, I would still argue a nitro-finished Legacy or ASAT w/ Alnico pickups is still a different beast than a traditional Fender.

• Members

Also, I must say, the Korina collection was a lot more exciting.

I really like the Korina collection as well. I would love a Korina Bluesboy or Deluxe. I do, however, like that G&L is experimenting with different woods and finishes.

Archived