What's so special about the "Gibson's special Alnico II magnet" in Classic 57 pickups

wanderoo222

• Members

You can identify if it is alnico or ceramic by looking at it. Ceramic magnets are black. Alnico magnets are silver. I don't know how to check the strength of alnico.

Found it, whew! It's shiny but no markings. I only asumed it was an A2 magnet. Any one no how to determine the strenght?

• Members

very nice!
:eek:

Thanks guys. Didn't mean to hijack.

Fairy dust indeed, I've tried some real bumblebee caps in modern guitars (which can be sourced really cheaply if you use your noggin) and they are different and cool (almost have reverb on a strat) but I cannot re-create the tone circuit of my 57, I've tried really hard.

Truth is they switched every magnet around in 50's and 60's. I wouldn't be surprised if there are mixed magnets in some pups from Seth's descriptions. Fairy Dust. Gibson want's us to believe in something that never was. Seth put the value of a real paf at around 5$ and gave out the recipe. Gibson is not using it, one of the reasons being no one really knows what happened. To recreate it it would be so boutique, acetone and celluloid i think for the bobbins, etc.

Archived