FarToMany

• Members

Todays progress---the fun stuff!!!

OK, here we go, paint is laid and drying

Last primer shot, i final wetsanded with 320 grit

doubleneck22.jpg

Next i laid in the silver base coat

doubleneck23.jpg

Next, after about 5 minutes flash time on the silver, came everyones favorite, the color.

doubleneck24.jpg

Some up close shots of it

doubleneck25.jpg

doubleneck26.jpg

Then after another 5 minutes, the clear was laid down. It goes on cloudy, but dries clear. This is also where the camera batteries died--i'll get more pics after it all dries. Next up, let it cure a bit then wetsand, reclear if necessary, then buff out.

doubleneck27.jpg

I got an oops to fix---sometimes its hard to keep it wet without getting a run, i lost this time. Its a big run too, drats. Its going to require alot of patience to get it out.

doubleneck28_1.jpg

The paints i used, in the order of use.

Primer filler---two cans worth, but you sand alot off between coats getting the surface smooth.

Silver, which i used for the base coat

Mettalic speck blue---i have been dying for years to used this color.

I used an acrylic clear this time, hopefully it'll all come out good.

doubleneck29.jpg

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks man, it has been a long road so far and i have been so busy with my automotive side work i just haven't had the time or energy to keep up like i want to.

Anyways, I have a couple of things i realized i forgot in my haste to lay the paint. I forgot the access for the bass bridge ground wire---this should be a real peach to drill now:rolleyes:. The other thing a half forgot about was the pickup route for the P-bass pickups. But they will have a pickgaurd around them, and the paint is still soft so i dont forsee it being a problem. I am sure they will fall outside a bit of the original HB route. Its just that damn ground wire i am worried about screwing up. I have a long drill bit to go in from the neck pocket, i just got to make sure it doesn't accidently come up through the top, its easy enough to mark it so it doesn't go out the back---hopefully....:facepalm:

• Members

I got an oops to fix---sometimes its hard to keep it wet without getting a run, i lost this time. Its a big run too, drats. Its going to require alot of patience to get it out.

A little late, I know... but sometimes I just wipe off runs with my fingers (with a glove) or use some paper towel or brush to even it out a bit while it's still wet. Makes it much easier to level than a big dot of finish.

• Members

OK, the clear has dried, i have been super busy again, but i am going to try and push on. The run on the back actually flowed and dried out pretty good, but still needs attention. I am going to try and wetsand this weekend and see where i end up, i am already guessing i will be clearcoating again.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I know, I know, its been awhile. I am sure some of you forgot all about this project. I would of too if it wasn't for looking at it for months. So i managed to get a little more done. I received the pickgaurd material today, and decided to just dive in and get something done. First i traced my pattern out, then i rough cut it out using various Dremel attachments and then/now I am down to fine tuning it to fit the best i can. The goal is to get it built and up and running in the next couple of weeks, so hopefully i will have more progress soon. I am going to try and finish the pick gaurd tommorow, I already have about 3 hours into it.

doubleneck33.jpg

doubleneck34.jpg

doubleneck35.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

OK, a little more updating. I managed to finish the pickgaurd and the wiring. It wasn't real easy, but here are the pics

doubleneck36.jpg

doubleneck37.jpg

I then got the bass side stringed up, neck adjusted and shimmed, and roughly intonated by ear, i will use my tuner later to set the final intonation.

doubleneck38.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Very interesting project indeed, great job on the paint and wiring, i know how frustrating that can get.

I understand the logic behind a 12/6 double neck, but what would the convenience of a bass/6 be? seems like gluing a piano to a drum set to me, in the sense that they are supposed to be played in unison and not so much one at a time. just saying.

• Members

Very interesting project indeed, great job on the paint and wiring, i know how frustrating that can get.

I understand the logic behind a 12/6 double neck, but what would the convenience of a bass/6 be? seems like gluing a piano to a drum set to me, in the sense that they are supposed to be played in unison and not so much one at a time. just saying.

Spoilsport!

• Members

if you have a looper you could play a bass line and then loop it, then riff or solo over it with the guitar.. if you're in a band and the other guy has a doubleneck like this (lol not really gonna happen generally) you could trade off on bass and guitar midsong.. uh.. ... if you're gonna audition for a band that needs a bassist and another guitarist, you can try for both roles without bringing a bass and a guitar.. i'm tapped after that one lol.. does it really matter? there's no need to justify a guitar

• Members

if you have a looper you could play a bass line and then loop it, then riff or solo over it with the guitar.. if you're in a band and the other guy has a doubleneck like this (lol not really gonna happen generally) you could trade off on bass and guitar midsong.. uh.. ... if you're gonna audition for a band that needs a bassist and another guitarist, you can try for both roles without bringing a bass and a guitar.. i'm tapped after that one lol.. does it really matter? there's no need to justify a guitar

Those all sound like very common occurrences haha

just saying. Very cool project, im definitely one for unique projects, just don't understand the practicality. No guff just making a statement.

• Members

I NEVER GET TIRED OF WATCHING IT!

i forget what other thread you posted that link in but after seeing it i posted it all over facebook, lol

Great lookin guitar btw, that blue (viper Blue) looks awesome, reminds me of a my first ever electric strat i had, after a few years i decided to repaint it, Viper Blue, ... i went a lil overboard tho. ended up repainting neck and body and fretboard black, i thought i could simply hammer the frets back in and they'd be as good as new. long story short, never got it back to how it was so im revisiting that proj.

anyways, nice lookin blue, looks like its turning out great,

out of curiosity, how many coats of paint and clear you have to spray?

• Members

Wow, thanks guys!

I had to put this down for a bit as i got a little fustrated with it. I have some electrical issues that are causing the bass side to give me a slight shock when i touch it. I am really not sure what the deal is, thinking maybe because I have all the gounds linked together. I will go back and make the two sides completly independent from each other and that SHOULD cure it I think.

I built it because the couple of times i do play with others, the guitar player isn't that strong on some lead stuff. And those particular times you could drop the bass out and have two guitars playing and not miss the bass---i think. However I "finished" this only days before we got together after a two week thrash and found the electrical issues. I was disappointed I couldn't unviel my little demon I made---thus I put it up and just look at it every day. I need to buy some good pots all around and would like to get a good set of P-bass pickups. I had these in a box marked Dimarzio P-bass, but i am pretty sure they are not---thats what happens when stuff sits for 10 plus years.

As far as the paint, I am dissapointed. I never sealed the bodywork and almost everything showed back up. I feel it deserves something more spectacular, so after i get the bugs all worked out i think i am going to try a blue sparkle finish on it and hopefully that'll hide some imperfections.

Thanks for bringing the topic back, i kinda left it for dead when i got discouraged. Now that its winter again, i might get things going again after the holidays. Stay tuned for sure, I am definatly not done yet. Save this as a favorite and check back in. Thanks.

• Members

if you have a looper you could play a bass line and then loop it, then riff or solo over it with the guitar..

This is an excellent idea and one I might look into now---especially after seeing that video posted above---thanks guys for a little inspiration to wouk on it some more.

• Members

It's very likely the electronics/shocking issues have to do with being plugged into 2 different amps. You might want to try running both necks out the same jack and using an ABY to switch amps. A good ABY will be are properly isolated.

What the heck is a ABY? Sorry if it seems like a noob question.

Man running it out of one jack would call for some majore filling of the extra jack plate, but if it is what I have to do, so be it.

• Members

What the heck is a ABY? Sorry if it seems like a noob question.

Man running it out of one jack would call for some majore filling of the extra jack plate, but if it is what I have to do, so be it.

There are others, but here are a few that come to mind:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--RADTWINCITY

http://www.tonebone.com/re-bigshot-aby.htm

http://www.morleypedals.com/daby.html

Archived