Bridge Pickup Help: Gibson Faded SG

stratedge09

• Members

I got the guitar about 3 months ago and I still have the stock 490t in the bridge and it doesn't have the high output I like. I want a pickup to push my amp (Peavey Classic 50 410) pretty hard but still be able to get good clean sounds out of it. I have some choices narrowed down, but anymore suggestions would be appreciated, here are the choices:

Dimarzio - Super Dist

Duncan - 59/custom hybrid, JB, or Distortion

• Members

Talk to Ken at Rose Pickups. He can wind something for you that will cost the same or less than any of the Dimarzio/Duncans.

If you don't want to go that route, take a look at the Tone Zone from Dimarzio. It's a really nice and versatile pickup.

L-90s from Bill Lawrence (Wilde) are another great option. They look a bit unorthodox. But they sound awesome.

• Members

I find that the Duncan JB drives amps well (better sound than the Distortion, IMO), and its cleans are fine. I think it could pair well with the stock 490R in the neck. Some people hate the pickup - I think it's pretty good. They're popular, so you should be able to find a used one without too much trouble.

• Members

The 59 is not a very hot pickup. I have a JB in the bridge of one guitar and got a 59 in the bridge of another... I wish I would have just went with another JB. Not everyone likes the JB, but I like it very much. It has a nice bite to it, IMO.

• Members

I believe those guitars come with 300K volume pots?

Try upgrading to 500K before buying a new pickup - I find the 490T lacks in definition and can sound quite muddy, but a 500K pots made a massive difference - you can drive it harder and still get some clarity and treble coming through.

You should probably change the pots up to 500k anyway if you swap pickups - so why not try it first? It'll only cost you $10....

• Members

I believe those guitars come with 300K volume pots?

Try upgrading to 500K before buying a new pickup - I find the 490T lacks in definition and can sound quite muddy, but a 500K pots made a massive difference - you can drive it harder and still get some clarity and treble coming through.

You should probably change the pots up to 500k anyway if you swap pickups - so why not try it first? It'll only cost you $10....

Gibson PCB is the problem haha, so I have to do a complete rewire regardless.

• Members

Yeah, replace the PCB before you change out the bridge pup. You might like how it sounds after the re-wire. But going by your description of what you want, and the fact you prefer Gibson pups...498T sounds like the ticket.

• Members

Anyone have any experience with the Dimarzio Super Distortion?

Dimarzio SS its an awesome pickup I had it on my old epiphone les paul and then later i gave it to a band mate of mine to put it in his epiphone les paul and it sounded amazing. For the neck check out paf pro since it goes perfect wit the SS. BTW i had that same SG 490 its pretty good for heavy distortion I used to play as i lay dying songs with it and the tone was spot on with the band's tone thouhg later i changed them to EMGs great pickups but i felt later that the stock one where so much better since then i dont mod my guitars

Archived