Any good music stores in Chicago besides Chicago Music Exchange?

HairwayToSteven

• Members

Headed there Tuesday for two weeks. GF grew up there so places to eat and the sights are covered, but I'd like to check out some music stores, too. I've heard a lot of stories about Chicago Music Exchange, so it's on the list, but are there any more worth taking a look at? If there are any decent pawn shops around, I'll check them out, too.

• Members

Headed there Tuesday for two weeks. GF grew up there so places to eat and the sights are covered, but I'd like to check out some music stores, too. I've heard a lot of stories about Chicago Music Exchange, so it's on the list, but are there any more worth taking a look at? If there are any decent pawn shops around, I'll check them out, too.

Midwest Buy & Sell on Irving Park road, the GC on Halstead, Make'n Music near North ave and Hubbard, The Music Gallary in Highland Park.

My favorites are Midwest and the GC on Halstead...I love used gear.

Good luck

• Members

+1 for Midwest Buy and Sell. It's on Irving Park Road just west of Austin.

As for Chicago Music Exchange, you just have to experience it to appreciate it. Rock N Roll Vintage is in Lincoln Square. They have a nice selection of vintage gear. It's just a couple of miles north of CME. You can take the brown line to both places.

If you check out Rock N Roll Vintage, you can also check for shows at The Old Town School of Folk Music. It's two blocks south of Rock N Roll Vintage. There is almost always something going on at OTS. While you are in the neighborhood, go a few blocks south of OTS and have a burger at The Bad Apple.

For a really decadent burger, go to Kuma's Corner. But be prepared to wait a couple of hours for a table. It's well worth it.

Enjoy your trip. Chicago is a great city and we love visitors.

• Members

Chicago is my fave big town (except for the winters!). I'll second Make 'n Music as a don't miss candy store. If you're a car guy/gal, and can get to the northern 'burbs, Lake Forest Sports Cars is big fun - hey, it's where Michael Jordan shops.

• Members

+1 for Midwest Buy and Sell. It's on Irving Park Road just west of Austin.

As for Chicago Music Exchange, you just have to experience it to appreciate it.
is in Lincoln Square. They have a nice selection of vintage gear. It's just a couple of miles north of CME. You can take the brown line to both places.

If you check out Rock N Roll Vintage, you can also check for shows at
. It's two blocks south of Rock N Roll Vintage. There is almost always something going on at OTS. While you are in the neighborhood, go a few blocks south of OTS and have a burger at

For a really decadent burger, go to
. But be prepared to wait a couple of hours for a table. It's well worth it.

Enjoy your trip. Chicago is a great city and we love visitors.

I never been to Rock N Roll Vintage...looks very interesting. Thanks!

• Members

Can't offer more suggestions, just +1 for Chicago Music Exchange. Lots of of vintage, very, very expensive guitars. You have to absoloutly go. Don't miss that one.

What I really liked about Makin Music is, only place in Illinois where I could try out Strymon pedals in person. Also, only time I've herd a DR Z amp in person.

• Members

On the south side...... Players Guitars 111th and Harlem Worth IL. Mike serves many many of the pro's coming through Chicago. Also Hidden Music 103rd and Roberts Rd. Palos Pk. IL. John has a unique collection of guitars and a vast knowledge of everything guitar related.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Wow, what an experience! The sights/food in Chicago is amazing, and the music stores there are crazy, too! Chicago Music Exchange was unreal. Really nice guys, too. One of them was setting up a '63 Strat to sell, and let me play it a bit before he hung it up. Outrageous selection of vintage guitars and amps there. Midwest Buy & Sell had a ton of Marshall JCM 800 heads, most of them 50 watters, too. The GC on Halstead had a huge selection of used gear, too. My G/F had to pry me away from a Fender C/S Strat made for someone in the band Filter. Played incredible, but pricey. Even though it was a drive, Players Guitars in Worth has some of the most laid back staff I've ever met in a music store. I'm glad I made that trip. I haven't totally made my mind up, but I think I'm going to be getting a guitar from them. I won't give it away just yet, in case I don't go through with it, but I'll be sure to post it here if I do. Thanks again for all the recommendations; I will definitely be going back there in the future!!

• Members

Glad to hear that you had a good time. CME is quite the experience. I'm always amazed when I stop in there. The people are nice. The repair department is great. And the collection is the best I've ever seen bar none.

I'm not familiar with Player's Guitars. But Worth is only a few miles south of me. I'll make it a point to stop in there. Thanks for the recommendation.

Archived