NGD: Seagull Acoustic-Electric (Comparison Video w/ Taylor)

honeyiscool

• Members

Yeah, I've been on a bit of an acoustic kick lately. It all started because I realized that my Yamaha APX, although great and fun to play, just wasn't an instrument worth listening to, so I sold that to my ex-roommate.

Meanwhile, I got myself a Taylor Grand Symphony, and I loved it, but I wanted something more modest in terms of price tag that I could take to bars. But if I was going to get another guitar, I wanted something really good, and I wanted a dreadnought and I wanted it to be mellow and I wanted something in the Gibson scale. Seagull saved the day for me, since it satisfied every one of my requirements to the T, and it's made in Canada, which doesn't hurt. I thought about getting the S6 or the all-solid Maritime, but really, the model that won me over was the Entourage Rustic CW QIT. I liked that it had a built-in pickup and tuner, I liked the slimmer neck, and I even liked the semi-gloss finish. Moreover, I liked the $499 price tag. Well, I got it yesterday:

img0566nq.jpg

And since I have both guitars and they both have the same strings on (except Seagull's is a week fresher), I thought I'd do a quick sound demo to show how the two are different.

[video=youtube;bYGhZPMueD4]

As for playability, Taylor wins by a hair, but I had to tighten the truss rod a tiny bit to get it to my liking after changing the 13s to 11s. Seagull had the better action out of the box, but after installing the Elixir Polyweb Custom Lights, I thought it needed a tiny more relief, which improved it a bit, but the Taylor still plays a LITTLE better.

I think the way I know I picked the right guitar is that I not only love my new Seagull, I actually like my Taylor even more now, if that makes sense. The two sound so different that I can appreciate my Taylor even more for all the reasons that make it a Taylor. The Seagull sounds exactly like I think an acoustic should, and I love the shorter scale and the mellow sound w/ the bigger midrange. But then, the Taylor has that impossible balance and clarity that only a Taylor has, which I love. It's so hi-fi, every string is just as loud as every other string and the body never seems to overwhelm the strings, and the midrange is more muted. I prefer the Taylor in general, but I can totally see myself wanting the Seagull on some songs.

You know, if you subtracted the price of the Entourage from the 316CE LTD, you'd still have enough for a nice American Fender, but I feel no regrets buying the Taylor.

• Members

I have the Rustic Entourage Mini Jumbo and it kills for the price. I love the cedar top. Very warm sounding guitar. I would and have gigged with it for your basic rhythm stuff. I have had some nice acoustics in the last four or five years since I got my Seagull, but they have all gone to new homes and the seagull has stayed put. I actually just traded my Taylor away because I was not as comfortable taking it out to gigs as the seagull.

Archived