Neck

Total width = 66mm

Centre to centre of poles = 49mm

Depth from top of leg to top surface of pickup = 27mm

Bridge

Total width = 66mm

Centre to centre of poles = 52mm

Depth from top of leg to top surface of pickup = 29mm

Looks like the dimensions of the Explorer's pickups almost mimic the standard spaced vintage long leg baseplate dimensions as per the BKP Website (see link below). The exception seems to be that the poles on my bridge pickup are spaced fractionally wider than those in the neck pickup and the leg on the bridge is a little longer. Would it matter if I bought a set where the 2 pickups had equal dimensions as per the dimensions in the link (bridge would be too narrow and shallow)?

http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/downloads/dimensions/humbuckers/6_string_standard_spacing.pdf

• Members

Maybe I'm just getting too picky. My LP sounds better than my Explorer though. Some say the Recto 4 x 12 cab mushes things out and therefore some go for a smaller Mesa cab for this reason. Just after more articulate high gain sounds if possible. Plus having fun tweaking.

Well a maple top on an LP does indeed add more snap and definition compared to an all mahogany explorer which produces a more guttural throat tone. But I'd still think you should be able to EQ your way to happiness with that rig. I the amp's tone knobs don't do it for you, consider getting one of these.

tZ-YEU7ZK5t3zGUdLSS46w9O7KfrvVnUwfO00Yh3

• 6 months later...
  • Members

Some good winders out there that could get you what you wanted, BG, MHD, etc....

Thanks a lot ArmyGuitar. I ended up getting a set of Walters from MHD and just got the guitar back from the install tech. I got the Walters to give me a chainsaw and I just cut my house in half with this beast. Sounds amazing through the orange channel on my DR. It's up on its hind legs pawing at the sky! The thing that really stands out is the bell-like chime that is maintained through all that gain. Raw and evil yet still musical. Exactly what I was after. I have the Walters teamed with D'addario 11-52 Nickel strings.

I also got the coil splitting option installed (push pulls & cap from Martin Six String Customs). The cleans coming out of this thing when coils are split are incredible. I never expected this. The guitar is now SO versatile its totally off the hook.

My Explorer is now an iron fist in a velvet glove. Thanks for pointing me towards MHD. Rayne was great to deal with and answered a heap of questions I threw his way.

Archived