Disappointing NGD!

kit_strong

• Members

'G' as in Gear, not guitar.

Over the weekend i ordered a Koch Dummy Box Studio like this

272161.jpg

It came in today and while I love the fact that it's a nice compact unit and entirely self powered I plugged it in to my mesa and was instantly disappointed by the sound. Running through the monitor out into or the DI out into my mixer it added a lot of unwanted grit to my clean tones. I'll play around with it a bit more but most likely it will be going back since it doesn't do me any good if it's adding that much color.

Definitely a bummer as I was looking forward to being able to let the tubes run a bit hotter on my mesa and start working it into the mix on my recordings.

-Kit

• Members

I've been using a Palmer Speaker Simulator with a number of Mesa amps (mostly Mark series) with great results - been using it for years. You might want to look into one of those.

Though I have found that I've gotten that unwanted grit/mild distortion on the cleans on some of my cheaper or low watt amps like a Vox Night Train, and a Egnator Rebel, I could never figure out why. But my Mesa Mark IV, III, S.O.B. and F30 all sound great throught the Palmer.

pga04-front.jpg

• Members

I've been using a Palmer Speaker Simulator with a number of Mesa amps (mostly Mark series) with great results - been using it for years. You might want to look into one of those.

Though I have found that I've gotten that unwanted grit/mild distortion on the cleans on some of my cheaper or low watt amps like a Vox Night Train, and a Egnator Rebel, I could never figure out why. But my Mesa Mark IV, III, S.O.B. and F30 all sound great throught the Palmer.

pga04-front.jpg

I know about the Palmer units but they don't really do what I want and cost almost 3 times as much. The Dummy box will work as a load box, a DI, and an attenuator. Unfortunately it's just not living up to my expectations based on the MusicRadar review I read.

• Members

I've got a Koch Loadbox attenuator, and it tends to add a little grit as well - which is often one of things I like about it! To get good cleans for recording via the line out or DI, I have to turn up the channel input gain on the recording deck pretty hot and dial back the amp's volume. Love the speaker emulation, though -- I wouldn't trade my Koch for anything!

ldrear.jpg

Archived