What do you think of fernandes?

gorebreath

• Members

They have a lot of interesting models at very reasonable prices. Plus a lot of them have that sustainer pickup thing which I dig, I was wondering though how do the feel? How are the necks? Thin fast? wide flat? big chunky? in between? Basically in a nutshell I'm asking: Are they quality?

• Members

I just got a ridiculous deal on a Monterey Elite. I'd never played a fernandes before but I've been jonesing for a sustainer for years. It's absolutely amazing. The neck is really slim, which I love. The body is mahohany with a maple top, but it's really slim too, so it doesn't have the fullness in tone of a Gibson. Actually it reminds me a little of an Epiphone Wilshire in feel, especially with the slim taper neck and white finish, but it doesn't feel as delicate. Maybe a Wilshire crossed with an SG.

The sustainer system is great. It probably wouldn't be worth it without that IMO. I'm a horrible guitarist, I can't solo for {censored}, so I use the feedback for Sigur Ros or even Smashing Pumpkins style ethereal tones. I've seen videos of it being used to get some crazy metal shred feedback though. I can't even imagine the fun I'd have if I were a better player.

When the sustainer is on, the neck pickup goes into driver mode, so you can only get sound from the bridge. Mine has a seymour duncan in it, which is pretty versatile, so when I turn the tone down I can get a fuller sound without it getting too muddy. I don't know how the older models would sound.

Bottom line, great guitars, but I wouldn't buy one without a sustainer system, and I wouldn't pay a grand for a new one. Buy a used one for 400-600 and it's a fair deal. I got mine at musicgoround.com. They have some there for like $450 now, and there are usually a few on ebay, but most of them are new and full price.

• Members

I just got a ridiculous deal on a Monterey Elite. I'd never played a fernandes before but I've been jonesing for a sustainer for years. It's absolutely amazing. The neck is really slim, which I love. The body is mahohany with a maple top, but it's really slim too, so it doesn't have the fullness in tone of a Gibson. Actually it reminds me a little of an Epiphone Wilshire in feel, especially with the slim taper neck and white finish, but it doesn't feel as delicate. Maybe a Wilshire crossed with an SG.

The sustainer system is great. It probably wouldn't be worth it without that IMO. I'm a horrible guitarist, I can't solo for {censored}, so I use the feedback for Sigur Ros or even Smashing Pumpkins style ethereal tones. I've seen videos of it being used to get some crazy metal shred feedback though. I can't even imagine the fun I'd have if I were a better player.

When the sustainer is on, the neck pickup goes into driver mode, so you can only get sound from the bridge. Mine has a seymour duncan in it, which is pretty versatile, so when I turn the tone down I can get a fuller sound without it getting too muddy. I don't know how the older models would sound.

Bottom line, great guitars, but I wouldn't buy one without a sustainer system, and I wouldn't pay a grand for a new one. Buy a used one for 400-600 and it's a fair deal. I got mine at musicgoround.com. They have some there for like $450 now, and there are usually a few on ebay, but most of them are new and full price.

hmm, well unless someone changes my mind I don't think I'll go for one. The sustainer thing is great but it was something I thought would sweeten an already great deal not make it. I was hoping the guitar alone was worth the money.

• Members

I have only played one and I've only owned it a few days. I wouldn't buy one sight unseen if you're not sure, but the other models have different features, might make a better axe. There's a strat style with 3 hot rails mini humbuckers and the Vertigo looks pretty cool, it looks a little thicker and it's got an EMG in the bridge. I'd have bought that one if I could have found a deal. Might be worth a play.

• Members

I have only played one and I've only owned it a few days. I wouldn't buy one sight unseen if you're not sure, but the other models have different features, might make a better axe. There's a strat style with 3 hot rails mini humbuckers and the Vertigo looks pretty cool, it looks a little thicker and it's got an EMG in the bridge. I'd have bought that one if I could have found a deal. Might be worth a play.

I like heavy thick toned guitars but as you stated you only have experience with the monterey elite. Unfortunately there are no local fernandes dealers so I have to make decisions based on others opinions.

P.S. your avatar is delightfully creepy.

• Members

I like everything about mine except the neck. It's like a Wizard mixed with a Paul. Wide, and a bit on the chunky side. I can do wide and kinda flat (think Charvel) then I really love Telecaster and 50's profile LP necks, but I didn't dig the neck on this thing. Maybe if my hands were bigger.

It's for sale if you have dissimilar neck taste than I. :poke: :lol:

• Members

I like Fernandes okay.

I've owned a Revolver X, a Monterey X, a Dragonfly X, a Revolver Pro, a Vertigo X, and a Dragonfly Pro.

Sold 'em all.

A couple of 'em I sold because I had gotten them cheap and felt I could make enough cash to help fund some Hamer USA purchases. That included the Vertigo and Revolver Xs and the Revolver Pro. The Dragofly X I sold because the "lava burst" looked cooler in pictures than it did in person. The Dragonfly Pro went because the Sustainer didn't really work for me like I thought it would.

These were all early to mid 00s models. They were all made in cheap labor factories in the Far East (I think China, but could have been Indonesia or Malaysia). They all had decent wood, decent quality overall.

The Revolver X actually had one of the most accurate Vintage Les Paul sounds I have ever heard. But if you know me, that isn't a complement: to me, the most accurate Vintage Les Paul sound is nasally, whiny, grating, blech. Before anyone starts flaming me, I admit that's an unfair bias on my part. There are probably hundreds of albums that I like the HB sound that are played on Vintage Les Pauls that I just don't realize because they don't have the nasally whine sound.

Then again, that nasally whine actually grew on me slightly while I had it. I miss that guitar and the Monterey X (it produced great ZZ Top sounds even though it was a bolt-on) the most of all the Fernandes' I used to own.

The biggest problem with all these Fernandes guitars is that they all had really sharp fret edges. If you are good at dressing fret edges, then you could probably make good money buying, fixing, and re-selling Ferndandes guitars made within the last decade.

In the end, it is the fret edge problem that is keeping me from re-visiting my Fernandes ownership. A decent guitar for the price, but you can probably find better for the same amount, or as good for less, if you look...especially at Matsumoku or 90s-era MIK products.

• Members

I'd do 400 plus actual shipping. Comes with OHSC. It's in the SPAM thread, I think I listed it there for more, or perhaps I said make me an offer.
:idk:

I'll leave you alone now, and let this thread continue.
:wave:

Sorry, didn't mean to disrupt the OP....

On that note, anyone remember the old Riggs model that was out?

• Members

I owned a Fernandes Revolver Pro for a number of years and I liked it, but the sustainer was the main attraction - very cool. As a Strat-style guitar, it was decent - not bad, not great. The neck was pretty chunky and took some getting used to. The sound of the sustainer as neck pickup was fair. It was a great looking guitar in metallic blue and I would have kept it except for one thing - the Floyd Rose trem system. I know a lot of people like them, but they are not for me and I wouldn't get another guitar that had one. That's the only Fernandes I've had personal experience with but I've heard great things about some of their higher end models.

• Members

I only have one( well, unless you count the MIJ '87 Burny LP I had to sell which was GREAT).

A '98 Dragonfly Pro I bot new from the gtr store which I worked.

Chose it from the inventory which I played daily.

Picked it for it's perfectly worked jumbo frets and nice wide/fat neck.

The sustainer pup was just an extra but one that is great to have! BTW, it works perfectly.

Gigged it as #1 for many years.

Archived