Re-shaping neck

Space coyote

• Members

Use a long block and work from heel to headstock in long strokes. If you just use short strokes you'll end up with dips and peaks, which sucks. I'd also suggest marking the neck with a pencil (scribble all over the mofo) so you can see where you're taking off wood. I made a neck from scratch last summer and it wasn't really hard at all to get the carve right. I just took my time and checked my work often.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Jeff

View Post

Use a long block and work from heel to headstock in long strokes. If you just use short strokes you'll end up with dips and peaks, which sucks. I'd also suggest marking the neck with a pencil (scribble all over the mofo) so you can see where you're taking off wood. I made a neck from scratch last summer and it wasn't really hard at all to get the carve right. I just took my time and checked my work often.

Thanks, this is actually very helpful.

• Members

I reshaped a Warmouth neck. It was too fat for my hand. Did the whole thing by eye. It's kind of asymetrical. Frankly wish I hadn't done it. I thought I liked it then after about a year I got tendinitis in my fretting hand. I don't play that guitar anymore.

Archived