What would I gain with a Yamaha THR10?

gergbee

• Members

I finally got to try out a THR10 yesterday and I am seriously thinking about getting one. I've been looking for something I can practice with at a low volume. All the stuff I have read about it has been positive but then I got to thinking, do I already have what I need?

What would the THR10 give me if I already have:

• a Digitech RP350 that I use a lot for practice with headphones?
  • a USB recording interface for my computer?
  • an iPhone guitar interface?

I know the THR10 would let me practice bass so that's one thing. It also seems easier to move around so it would be more convenient. But are those elements worth $300 considering I have that other stuff? Would I be better off putting some of that $300 into some speakers I could plug into the RP350? Or is the emulation/software/whatever far superior on the THR10?

Enquiring minds want to know. wave.gif

Greg

• Members

I was exactly like you: already had an audio interface, a few modelers (including the a line6 HD400) and a mustangIII for practice.

Well, guess what? My THR10 is turning out to be the gear that i use almost exclusively for recording, especially the "flat" setting is unexpectedly useful and perfect for recording my TD9 roland drum kit. I plug the left/mono output into the THR, put it on flat and it's awesome!. I go through the usb for recording and completely bypass my usual audio interface. I monitor through headphone directly from the THR or connect that to my powered monitors. I don't even think of the THR as an amp anymore, although it is one and works best than anything i have for really low volume. i f you want a lot more volume, the Mustang is the thing to use.

• Members

Very useful info Jkater. I don't need volume, I have an amp for that. The more I think about it, the more the thr10 seems to be right for me.

• Convenience/Portability (Can use it in different rooms in my house and there aren't a ton of cables to mess with.)
  • Decent sound at low volume.
  • Can use it for bass and guitar (beats out the RP350)

Now all I need to do is sell an unused guitar for that little bit of extra cash...

Archived