So is the Vox Night Train discontinued or something?

honeyiscool

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by twisty571 View Post
Nice,did you decide against that AC15HW1?
No, that's still on the table. This Night Train is more out of need than anything. I sold my AC15C1 and I want to stop using the Pathfinder 210 live since that thing is chipboard and is already showing wear and won't survive too many more months on the road. I figure the Night Train can be a lot more gig-worthy and what's more, I got a fantastic deal on the matching 112 cab with a road case for $175 shipped, so I will have few worries about the road worthiness of that setup, as long as it sounds half decent, which it will. I loved hearing the clean demos of this amp through a Greenback and that's how I plan on using it.

And you know, for a tiny 20-pound MDF cabinet, that V112NT cabinet is really nice! I was playing my AC4 through it yesterday and it sounded so bright, clear, rich, and beautiful that it just made me hate the built-in speaker. They really found a way to get Vox chime out of a tiny little enclosure, because I tried a birch ply Epiphone cab (w/ the built-in Eminence Lady Luck speaker) and although the sound was deeper and louder, I wasn't getting as nice of a Vox tone out of it. It's probably because it's a very flat speaker. I have an Eminence GB128, though, that I want to try in that cab and see how that plays with the Night Train. In fact, I have yet to really hear the GB128 so I'm really looking forward to that.

The AC15HW1 is more of the luxury purchase I'm considering for my Christmas present to self, as something I'll be keeping for decades, hopefully.

• Members

don't forget to send in your rebate for $100 thumb.gif
also, if you find it overly bright on the "bright" setting, you can clip the bright cap or put it on a switch.

I picked up one as well a few weeks ago, though I totally didn't need it..
Now i'm not sure if I want the lil night train too for headphone playing...

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by IBDBB View Post
don't forget to send in your rebate for $100 thumb.gif
also, if you find it overly bright on the "bright" setting, you can clip the bright cap or put it on a switch.

I picked up one as well a few weeks ago, though I totally didn't need it..
Now i'm not sure if I want the lil night train too for headphone playing...
I heard the Sweetwater already had the discount built in. I guess it can't hurt sending it in anyway, but $249 is already a fine price for such an amp! I really like the industrial beauty of this little amp, it's something to just stare at. Vox really has the looks down when it comes to amps.

Quote Originally Posted by guitarman3001 View Post
onboard reverb and/or fx loop would be a significant improvement, imo.
I never run the amp with the gain more than halfway up, so the effects loop isn't much of a deal for me. Reverb is nice, of course. I wouldn't want digital reverb, though, and at that size, tank reverb would be impossible. Trem would be nice, maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappa74 View Post
Plan on making a demo of it?
Eventually! I kind of want to try out the various gear combos and match different things (cabs, speakers and such) out until I find the ideal combinations of things. And if I do end up getting an AC15HW1 w/ the AlNiCo Blue (very likely), I kind of want to compare how that + the Night Train both (and the Vox AC4, for fun) sound through the same AlNiCo Blue cabinet (and also compare how a Greenback or GB128 do in the same cab). I guess I do like doing the sit down in front of the camera and play for 7-8 minute style reviews I often do, but I kind of want to be a bit more scientific, since a video like that would have really helped me in my Vox quests, so doing a controlled Vox experiment is something I really want to do this time.

• Members

as far as the rebate... it is certainly a grey area right now.
MF clearly has the lil night train listed with a "instant rebate" but sweetwater's price was not listed as having a rebate included, it was just listed as their new low price.
There has been some back and forth on other forums as to Vox saying they would or would not honor the rebate from sweetwater, and sweetwater stating that Vox would or would not honor the rebate. So, nobody knows for sure at this point as it hasn't been long enough for anyone to get their rebate back.
I won't be too sad if they don't honor it, but they really should..

• Members

What's crazy is that when Sweetwater was selling for $249, you couldn't find a single NT head used for less than $300 anywhere. I really do feel that I got a quality amp for a really good price. I was always interested in the Night Train series, but at the prices they were charging, I liked the Tiny Terror a smidge more, and the only reason why I didn't care for that setup was that I didn't like the Orange cab very much, I thought it was rather poor and overpriced, and I didn't want an Orange head without an Orange cab. But the situation changed, I guess, and to get the whole NT stack for less than the price of a single Tiny Terror head, I couldn't refuse.

(Also, over time, I like the Tiny Terror sound a little less and less whenever I go back to listen to it, and I liked the NT a bit more and more.)

• Members

Yeah, that was used. I decided to get two of the cabs. I want to keep one around the house, and then take the one with the road case out to gigs, obviously. The road case will make a wonderful stand for the cabinet to get it off the ground so you can hear it better. When we're shooting video or whatever and want that extra awesome look, we can bring out both cabs and just use the one at the top. I might eventually install a parallel jack plate to allow daisy chaining.

I barely got to play it yesterday but I thought it sounds very good through its matching Night Train cab. A lot of punch and the triode/pentode switch is very usable with the impact of the sound being reduced but the tone being identical. At whisper volumes (2 a.m. in an apartment with a roommate kind of deal), there's sorta this hum that's actually louder in triode than in pentode, but it's a complete non-factor, even at bedroom volumes. I played my Tele with various pedals through it and it sounded righteous. My favorite setting was gain at about 6, bright mode, treble at about 3, bass and mids at 5, volume at whatever, and triode (for the bedroom). The triode mode is really useful because at 7.5 watts, it's not far off from my AC4C1, which I also love, but that one doesn't have that hum at whisper volumes, making it a better strictly bedroom amp. I'd imagine at rehearsal, I'd want it in pentode.

The thick mode is quite interesting, too. With the gain backed off in thick mode, you can get a really good response from the amp. You know, when you have a good subtle drive pedal and you put the drive at 0, you get that little crunch and a little thicker sound and a bit of drive but plenty of definition? That's the kind of response I was getting in thick mode. Really enjoyed it.

Archived