Building your own distortion pedal? Ideas, tips, & advice

musicalpeace

• Members

I've been trying out tons of distortion pedals at the local guitar shops lately, and I think that building my own would be a fun little project where I could save a bit of dough and also get the tone I have in my head.

Mainly, I'm looking for something that's really touch sensitive (cleaner when you pick lightly and crunchier when you dig in to the strings). I also want something that takes power chords well (think ac/dc). Most of the pedals I've tried really screw the power chords up- it gets too muddy.

Can anyone point me to some good pedals or schematics I can try out? If not, what components in a pedal affect its responsiveness to touch?

Does anyone have any opinions on tube pedals (with an actual preamp tube installed)?

• Members

I was going to recommend hitting BYOC. If this is your first build the kits and more importantly instructions are top notch. I had a ball building a preamp pedal earlier this year, and have a couple of their pedals on my xmas list this year. No idea which dirt pedal on their list would meet your criteria, but their forum is pretty good for advice on pedal selection and on building.

• Members

Boss makes (made?) the Dyna Drive which is designed to do exactly as you described. I can't speak for its effectiveness or tone, but I'm sure there's plenty of info out there. I've tried a few tube pedals (tubeWorks, tube king, Mesa vtwin), but the only one I've been really happy with (the one I still own) is the SIB! Varidrive. It runs the tube at full plate voltage, so in addition to "warming up" whatever it's in front of, it is pretty touch sensitive and tube amp-like. Its EQ section is very musical and amp-like as well.

Archived